WinDbg?

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
SuperGeek

WinDbg?

Post by SuperGeek »

Hello,

I have been struggling with WinDbg/Kd for the last week, but to no avail... So I finally decided to ask here.

Basically, I am using a Windows XP virtual machine (thanks to VMWare6) and wanted to do some kernel debugging using Windbg. So, I did configure everything from the virtual machine side (using this guide: http://silverstr.ufies.org/lotr0/windbg-vmware.html), and then tried my hands with wine and windbg. After installing it manually (the installer fails), I had troubles with the GUI version of Windbg (I understood from the internet that there is a redraw bug).

My last resort was to use wineconsole + kd. However, all my efforts turned to be vain.

Is there something to be done in order to solve this task, or what I want to do is simply impossible with the current technology?

Thanks in advance!
vitamin

Re: WinDbg?

Post by vitamin »

SuperGeek wrote:Hello,

I have been struggling with WinDbg/Kd for the last week, but to no avail... So I finally decided to ask here.

Basically, I am using a Windows XP virtual machine (thanks to VMWare6) and wanted to do some kernel debugging using Windbg. So, I did configure everything from the virtual machine side (using this guide: http://silverstr.ufies.org/lotr0/windbg-vmware.html), and then tried my hands with wine and windbg. After installing it manually (the installer fails), I had troubles with the GUI version of Windbg (I understood from the internet that there is a redraw bug).

My last resort was to use wineconsole + kd. However, all my efforts turned to be vain.

Is there something to be done in order to solve this task, or what I want to do is simply impossible with the current technology?

Thanks in advance!

It would help if you actually state what the problem is? And what _exactly_ are you trying to do?
SuperGeek

Post by SuperGeek »

Yes, my bad.

Basically, I am trying to perform remote kernel debugging of a windows xp machine. In this situation there is be a machine called "server" which is the machine that will be debugged at kernel level, and then there is a machine named "client" that is the one that will be used for interactive operations.

In case the two machines are phisical machines, they can be connected using their serial ports. In case the server machine is a virtual machine, however, things are much simpler: using VMWare's interface, you can create a fake serial port, that is actually implemented as a named pipe.

So, I configured my virtual machine as described in the tutorial linked in the previous post, and created the "fake" serial port that is in reality a pipe. My problems come when trying to set up the client part using wine/wineconsole. I am running OpenSUSE 10.3 + Wine 0.9.56.

In case I use the graphical version of WinDbg (invoked as: windbg -b -k com:pipe,port=\\.\pipe\com_1,resets=0), the program just hangs. This issue is described by several people as in here: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... n&iId=9835.

So I moved to the other solution: since the issue with the GUI version is related to redraw issues, I'll use the console version.

So, I did open command prompt using winconsole ('wineconsole cmd') and tried using kd.exe instead than windbg.exe.

The command I issue is simply:

Code: Select all

kd -b -k com:pipe,port=\\.pipe\com_1,result=0
And the error I get is:

Code: Select all

Y:\Desktop\Debugging Tools for Windows>kd -b -k com:pipe,port=\\.\pipe\com_1,res

Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 6.8.0004.0 X86
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Failed to open \\.\pipe\com_1
Kernel debugger failed initialization, Win32 error 0n2
    "<Unable to get error code text>"
Debuggee initialization failed, Win32 error 0n2
    "<Unable to get error code text>"
Y:\Desktop\Debugging Tools for Windows>
Hopefully, I did explain myself properly this time :)
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

SuperGeek wrote:In case I use the graphical version of WinDbg (invoked as: windbg -b -k com:pipe,port=\\.\pipe\com_1,resets=0), the program just hangs.
That called pipe not comport. Wine does not support this. You need to use "physical" com port if that's what vmware creates.
SuperGeek

Post by SuperGeek »

I am sorry, I am not sure I do understand what you mean. Could you please be more clear? In my understanding, vmware creates a named pipe, the phisical port just exists inside the virtualized system.
vitamin

Re: WinDbg?

Post by vitamin »

SuperGeek wrote:I am sorry, I am not sure I do understand what you mean. Could you please be more clear? In my understanding, vmware creates a named pipe, the phisical port just exists inside the virtualized system.
You can't create named pipe on Linux. The vmware have to create a "hardware comp port" and link it to a VM.
SuperGeek

Post by SuperGeek »

Thanks for the reply. I'll continue my investigation on VMWare forums and will update this thread if when I have more information (of course if someone is interested into this . :wink: ).