Sins of a Solar Empire sound & font problems

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Nameless
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nameless »

I am trying to run Sins of a Solar Empire, and most reports say that it is playable, with the exception of large fonts. However, I am having sound problems.

Sound is stuttering in-game. I tried fiddling around with the sound options in winecfg, but nothing solved the problem (although Emulation instead of Full hardware acceleration made thijngs better). I tried both ALSA and OSS. Is there anything else I can try? Anyone else who has played the game and care to help?

These problems don't appear in the game's AppDB entry.

Also, text in-game appears mostly corrupt for me, not large. There are some texts which appear fine, and all others are just random lines. I replaced the font files with tweaked ones from the Sins forum (http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/?aid=171844), but it didn't make the garbled text appear normal.

I am running it on Ubuntu 7.10, with an ATi X1650 card, the latest fglrx drivers, and my sound card is the on-board Realtek ALC888 (or something like that). I am using Wine 0.9.55.

EDIT: typos
EDIT 2: Update
Last edited by Nameless on Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
austin987
Wine Developer
Wine Developer

Post by austin987 »

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 6:53 PM, Nameless <[email protected]> wrote:
I am trying to run Sins of a Solar Empire (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... n&iId=6653), and most reports say that it is playable, with the exception of large fotns. However, I an having sound problems.

Sound is stuttering in-game. I tried fiddling around with the sound options in winecfg, but nothing solved the problem (although Emulation instead of Full hardware acceleration made thijngs better). Is there anything else I can try? Anyone else who has played the game and care to help?

Also, text in-game appears mostly corrupt for me, not large. There are some texts which appear fine, and all others are just random lines.

I am running it on Ubuntu 7.10, with an ATi X1650 card, the latest fglrx drivers, and my sound card is the on-board Realtek ALC888 (or something like that).
Try driver emulation, OSS instead of ALSA or disabling sound entirely.
Nameless
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nameless »

I have tried driver emulation and it didn't solve the problem. I will try OSS, although as you can see here, it should run well with ALSA. As for disabling sound, that is hardly a solution :)

Any other suggestions?
James McKenzie

Post by James McKenzie »

Nameless wrote:
I have tried driver emulation and it didn't solve the problem. I will try OSS, although as you can see here (http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/?aid=171844), it should run well with ALSA. As for disabling sound, that is hardly a solution :)

Any other suggestions?

Nameless:

As a part of troubleshooting a problem, we recommend several steps to
take.

Can you visit the Applications Database to see if someone else has made
this program work. If there is no entry, please create one. I would
like for you to attempt to turn off sound emulation for your game just
to see if it that solves the display problem. If you cannot get sound
working and you have used any methods discussed in the Applications
Database, please go to the Bugzilla and if there are no entries for your
program and sound problems, create a new bugzilla entry. Please add
your bug report to the Applications Database entry.

James McKenzie
Nameless
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nameless »

@James McKenzie
I am sorry, I thought that it was clear that I had already checked the AppDB (I have a link to the game's entry on my first post :) ). I posted here only after searching a lot for a solution and posting on other fora. Noone seems to have my problem, so there are no proposed solutons.

Also, I tried OSS as suggested, and I have also tried most sound options, but none of them made much difference. OSS had the exact same output. The font problem also remained.

I will try to post to Bugzilla. Right now I had a problem creating an account and I will try some other time. I searched and found only a multiplayer problem realting to SoaSE in Bugzilla.

Also, here is my output when running the game.
James McKenzie

Post by James McKenzie »

Nameless wrote:
@James McKenzie
I am sorry, I thought that it was clear that I had already checked the AppDB (I have a link to the game's entry on my first post :) ). I posted here only after searching a lot for a solution and posting on other fora. Noone seems to have my problem, so there are no proposed solutons.

Also, I tried OSS as suggested, and I have also tried most sound options, but none of them made much difference. OSS had the exact same output. The font problem also remained.

I will try to post to Bugzilla. Right now I had a problem creating an account and I will try some other time. I searched and found only a multiplayer problem realting to SoaSE in Bugzilla.

Sorry to read about your problems in Bugzilla. Please keep on trying to
submit the bug report.

As a suggestion, please keep as much of the message thread intact so
that we don't have to read several messages to see if you have tried
something or have visited a specific web site.

Thank you.

James McKenzie
Wedge

Re: Sins of a Solar Empire sound & font problems

Post by Wedge »

Nameless wrote:I am trying to run Sins of a Solar Empire, and most reports say that it is playable, with the exception of large fonts. However, I am having sound problems.

Sound is stuttering in-game. I tried fiddling around with the sound options in winecfg, but nothing solved the problem (although Emulation instead of Full hardware acceleration made thijngs better). Is there anything else I can try? Anyone else who has played the game and care to help?

Also, text in-game appears mostly corrupt for me, not large. There are some texts which appear fine, and all others are just random lines.

I am running it on Ubuntu 7.10, with an ATi X1650 card, the latest fglrx drivers, and my sound card is the on-board Realtek ALC888 (or something like that).

EDIT: typos
Sorry, I don't know what to say about your sound problem but for your text problem you might try using the replacement .font files as described on the Sins forums (http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/?aid=171844. For me that mostly helped with the font being too large but it also seemed to help with the garbled text strings as well. I figure they are less apt to get all bugged out when they fit correctly. Shortcut keys still display as a bunch of gibberish though.

Also, just out of curiosity, what version of Wine are you using? And did you install from DVD or Stardock Central? Original version of Sins or patched 1.02 version?
Nameless
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nameless »

I am using Wine 0.9.55 (I am waiting for the latest one to appear in the repository). I tried the tweaked font files, but it didn't correct the font problems. :(

I installed from DVD, and I patched. The problems were unaffected by the patch (besides, I think the patch only had more content).
oiaohm
Level 8
Level 8

Post by oiaohm »

Check http://alsa-project.org for you sound card as well in case bad noise is know for the card under particular conditions. If so they will have corrective settings.
Nameless
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nameless »

Hello again.

Installing the latest Wine available for my distribution (0.9.56), the font problem disappeared, but the sound problem remains. Also, I checked the alsa webpage and my card is supported.
Anurag Mishra

Post by Anurag Mishra »

On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 9:02 PM, Nameless <[email protected]> wrote:
Hello again.

Installing the latest Wine available for my distribution (0.9.56), the
font problem disappeared, but the sound problem remains. Also, I checked the
alsa webpage and my card is supported.

Are you having an Intel Onboard Sound? Then this might help you. Although
the page states only about laptop, I had the same device on my PC, and
following the instructions fixed many of my annoyances with sound in gutsy.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Gutsy_Intel_HD_Audio_Controller
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-us ... chment.htm
Nameless
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nameless »

Thanks for the suggestion. I have an nVidia onoboard sound card, and it's not on that list (plus I have a desktop computer). Plus, I am not having trouble with sound anywhere else, not even in other games with Wine.