Help, program won't uninstall...

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
slicemaster
Level 1
Level 1

Help, program won't uninstall...

Post by slicemaster »

well, as the subject describes, i cant uninstall a program that does not work in wine. the program is "AutoStreamer" but it will not work in wine, so i wanted to remove it. i went to the wine uninstaller app and tried but it doesn't do anything. i was wondering if there is a way to manualy remove the program and all its registry entries.

peace.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

The simplest way is to delete the wineprefix and start over:

Code: Select all

rm -rf ~/.wine
slicemaster
Level 1
Level 1

Post by slicemaster »

could you please explain exactly what that does?
Bamm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Bamm »

slicemaster wrote:could you please explain exactly what that does?
It deletes ALL your installed programs in wine, in one blow. However it does not delete the shortcuts created in your start menu.
vitamin

Re: Help, program won't uninstall...

Post by vitamin »

slicemaster wrote:well, as the subject describes, i cant uninstall a program that does not work in wine. the program is "AutoStreamer" but it will not work in wine, so i wanted to remove it. i went to the wine uninstaller app and tried but it doesn't do anything. i was wondering if there is a way to manualy remove the program and all its registry entries.

peace.
Uninstalling is something that is a low priority for Wine developers. You can easily remove all programs installed under Wine with 'rm -rf ~/.wine'. Note this removes _ALL_ programs installed under Wine. If you have multiple programs that you don't want to remove you should use separate WINEPREFIX for each program. 'man wine' for more detailed explanation about WINEPREFIX.
slicemaster
Level 1
Level 1

Post by slicemaster »

now doing that will delete all the programs, and their associated files and not just reset the configuration right...

thanks
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

vitamin wrote:
slicemaster wrote:well, as the subject describes, i cant uninstall a program that does not work in wine. the program is "AutoStreamer" but it will not work in wine, so i wanted to remove it. i went to the wine uninstaller app and tried but it doesn't do anything. i was wondering if there is a way to manualy remove the program and all its registry entries.

peace.
Uninstalling is something that is a low priority for Wine developers. You can easily remove all programs installed under Wine with 'rm -rf ~/.wine'. Note this removes _ALL_ programs installed under Wine. If you have multiple programs that you don't want to remove you should use separate WINEPREFIX for each program. 'man wine' for more detailed explanation about WINEPREFIX.
slicemaster
Level 1
Level 1

Post by slicemaster »

well, i didnt know how to run the code you gave me so i just uninstalled wine, and i was going to reinstall it but after the uninstall, the junk is still there under my aplications menu, how to i get rid of all that stuff?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

slicemaster wrote:well, i didnt know how to run the code you gave me so i just uninstalled wine, and i was going to reinstall it but after the uninstall, the junk is still there under my aplications menu, how to i get rid of all that stuff?
http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-9893ae5 ... af2e69b391
slicemaster
Level 1
Level 1

Post by slicemaster »

thanks alot everyone....you are all great, all your tips worked.
Fiksdal

Post by Fiksdal »

Hey guys!

My first post got blocked as spam, but it was a serious message.

I was having trouble uninstalling programs (The whole BS (MS) Office package through Wine in Ubuntu, and this thread helped me uninstall the whole thing! So I just wanted to say thanks because I often do that when a thread online helps me! Not spamming!

love