Debugging Assistance for Skyrim SE (wine 7.{7,8} -> 7.6 Reversion)

Questions about Wine on Linux
TommyC
Level 2
Level 2

Debugging Assistance for Skyrim SE (wine 7.{7,8} -> 7.6 Reversion)

Post by TommyC »

Hello,

I've been playing Skyrim Special Edition (no mods just vanilla Skyrim) on wine (Slackware Linux with multilib) for quite some time now. For those who do play, there's an area called "Winterhold" that has always crashed somewhat frequently but is still progress-able thanks to Quick Saves. However, after upgrading to wine 7.8 (from 7.6) loading any save that is in Winterhold caused the game to crash immediately after the save was loaded (the outside area, not inside a building that is in Winterhold such as the Inn).

In an attempt to debug this I started up winedbg and attached to the process (SkyrimSE.exe although it was started by Steam). Attempting to "cont" or "pass" causes the game to terminate.

In order to remove other suspects, I compiled and reverted to wine 7.7. Same problem. Then I reverted to wine 7.6 and loading the game in the Winterhold area no longer causes crashes.

To help future wine versions to hopefully have this fixed, I'm wondering:

1. Since the game crashes when attempting to "cont" or "pass" when using winedbg, is there a way to use winedbg (or another tool) to help identify the main problem?

2. Given wine's large size as a project, is there a way to see the differences between wine 7.6 and 7.7 that pertain to the problem since it doesn't occur with 7.6?

P.S.: 7.7 and 7.8 work perfectly fine in other areas of Skyrim except Winterhold from my testing, so it's not like 7.7 and 7.8 make Skyrim completely unplayable or anything.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Debugging Assistance for Skyrim SE (wine 7.{7,8} -> 7.6 Reversion)

Post by jkfloris »

You could do a regression test and report the regression on bugzilla.

Here you can find out what has changed between version 7.6 and 7.7