MDAC Components error installing program called OnCourt

Questions about Wine on Linux
PortMacOnline

MDAC Components error installing program called OnCourt

Post by PortMacOnline »

Hi guys,
My first post here, I am a relative noob with Linux, and an absolute noob with using WINE, so please accept my apologies in advance if I ask something that is blindingly obvious to you. My setup is MiniPC running AMD Ryzen 7, Linux Mint 20.02 Cinnamon 5.0.5 and WINE 6.0.1. I have exactly three Windoze-only programs which have no Linux equivalents, all are specific sports database programs, and I have been running all three on Windoze since the late 90s/early 2000s, so I have a LOT of time and data tied up in them and need to get them working under WINE if at all possible.

Today I worked my way through a WINE tutorial, have installed WINE, set the i386 32-bit parameter, and installed the first program, OnCourt, which you can see at https://oncourt.info. The program has installed correctly, I have set up a desktop icon, and the program loads from that. I have also successfully registered the program. But when I try to update the database I get an error, "Error of database access. Make sure that file oncourt.mdb is available and MDAC components are installed." Then when I click on 'OKAY' I get a second error, "OLE error: 800401F3".

That oncourt.mdb, and the other .mdb files are present in the correct folder, and I gather from research that MDAC components are the MS database components needed to connect the database. So how/where do I install the MDAC components, or does WINE have equivalent components that I need to install? TIA.

Cheers,
Terry (WINE noob) Chadban
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: MDAC Components error installing program called OnCourt

Post by jkfloris »

Use winetricks to install Microsoft Jet 4.0.
This does require a 32-bit Wineprefix.

Code: Select all

# Install and update winetricks:
sudo apt install winetricks
sudo winetricks --self-update

# Create a 32-bit Wineprefix and install Jet 4.0:
WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=${HOME}/oncourt-wine winetricks -q jet40

# Install OnCourt:
WINEPREFIX=${HOME}/oncourt-wine wine OnCourtSetup68.exe
PortMacOnline

Post by PortMacOnline »

Hi,
Thanks for the reply! So that means that I need to uninstall OnCourt from WINE, and re-install it with winetricks, is that right?

Cheers,
Terry Chadban
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

So that means that I need to uninstall OnCourt from WINE
By default, Wine creates a 64-bit Wineprefix. Unfortunately, MDAC/ Jet only works in a 32-bit prefix. So you can remove OnCourt from the 64-bit prefix.
and re-install it with winetricks
Winetricks only makes it easier to install programs and components the real work is done by Wine.
rcarballo

Post by rcarballo »

Jet v4.x runs fine under the 64-bit "Windows". We tested this environment for several months w/o any problems. We also tested the 32-bits "Windows" and had zero problems too. We do install MDAC v2.8 after the Jet engine is installed.

We use ODBC drivers and had to update the registry to alert "Windows" that a driver exists for a database. Not sure why MDAC doesn't update the registry but we were forced to update it using a registry file (.reg). We have successfully tested Microsoft Access, MySQL, and Microsoft SQL Server drivers. The driver for MySQL must be v8.0.12 or older because that is the last 32-bits driver they published; you need VC runtimes 2015 for MySQL driver.

In order to run 32-bit "Windows" you need to run the Wine configurator. Do this ONCE,

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine32 wine winecfg

From this point onward you will need to (a) permanently set the WINEPREFIX environment variable to $HOME/.wine32 or (b) put it on the command line EVERY TIME that you run Wine or Winetricks,
WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine32 wine <program to run>
WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine32 winetricks <stuff to install>

If WINEPREFIX variable is missing, Wine will default to .wine AND set a 64-bits "Windows" environment at that folder.

-AC