From where can i know what dll a application needs?

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
ReySKR

From where can i know what dll a application needs?

Post by ReySKR »

It's a simple question, but i think the answers arent. So well, from where can i know what dlls a application needs?

Thanks for every answer :)
dimesio

Re: From where can i know what dll a application needs?

Post by dimesio »

Start by testing the application in a clean wineprefix. If everything works as expected, it doesn't need any. If there are problems, check the AppDB for any maintainer Howtos and/or information about workarounds in test reports. You can also check bugzilla for known bugs, as workarounds may be mentioned in a comment.

If none of that helps, post terminal output here with the name of the app, the Wine version tested (should be the latest development or staging release), and a description of what exactly is not working.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: From where can i know what dll a application needs?

Post by Bob Wya »

ReySKR wrote:It's a simple question, but i think the answers arent. So well, from where can i know what dlls a application needs?

Thanks for every answer :)
If the WineHQ AppDB isn't of use, for the particular application you are testing...

Then it's probably worth running the application with

Code: Select all

export WINEDEBUG=+loaddll
wine start ... &>~/wine_loaddll_log.txt
This will log all dll's Wine tries to load and whether they are builtin or native.

Also an application will often call a WIN API entry point, which does not exist in a builtin dll - typically result in an ERR, or results in a FIXME warning (due to only being partially implemented).
These entry point functions can usually be looked up quite easily on MSDN, to see what dll they correspond to.

Bob