Font debugging

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Seegras

Font debugging

Post by Seegras »

Hi

Once again, I have the problem that one (.NET) application has invisible fonts (and I mean invisible, not zero-size).

My question is: How can I debug that?

Specifically:

- Are there any tools that can tell me which font the application is really using?
I can see which font files are accessed with WINEDEBUG="+file", and also which fonts are accessed with WINEDEBUG="+font", but that doesn't seem to tell me which ones are actually used, and which file they came from.

- Is there a means within wine to deactivate fonts that are installed on the Unix system?
I've got a hunch that the application is using a wrong font, maybe one for a different language, and I'd like to prevent wine from using all those fonts that came installed with latex etc..

I think the various sections on font debugging within the wine-wiki and FAQ are rather short and don't really explain how to debug font problems.

Thank you.
dimesio

Re: Font debugging

Post by dimesio »

Missing text can be caused by other things than the fonts--the need to disable dwrite.dll in Steam is one example. The place to start debugging that is ordinary console output.

If it is a font issue, you may be missing whatever font this app requires, or if you have it installed systemwide, the app may need it to be installed in the wineprefix to work. Have you tried installing corefonts and tahoma with winetricks?
Seegras

Re: Font debugging

Post by Seegras »

corefonts and tahoma are installed.

But the interesting thing for me would be: How do I find out which font the application requires? It's some kind of .NET-mess, so I can't just "strings" on the executable.