Will wine ever be able to run x86 apps on ARM?

Questions about Wine on Android
NIKSENIW

Will wine ever be able to run x86 apps on ARM?

Post by NIKSENIW »

I have always wanted to use wine on android to run x86 apps, specifically games, on ARM. I learned that is can only run ARM-based apps for windows, though, and that brought up the question: will there ever be X86 support for wine on android?

I want to be able to play windows games on the go, wherever I want, but the games I am interested in are x86 only. I have 2 questions:

1. Will wine for ARM ever go in the direction of adding x86 support?
2. Are there any programs to run x86 on arm (Hangover is experimental, and if ExaGear is recommended, I would prefer one of those hacked versions adding new features to it, like one of those versions that updates the version of wine used).

Thanks for reading, and I would appreciate some pointers to good versions of wine for ARM.
Mcc001

Re: Will wine ever be able to run x86 apps on ARM?

Post by Mcc001 »

Same question 😊
fargodwe

Re: Will wine ever be able to run x86 apps on ARM?

Post by fargodwe »

My understanding is no - what you are talking about is emulating hardware. Wine is meant as sort of a translation layer between your OS and Windows. It tried to map Windows calls to you native OS - be in Android, Linux or Mac. I don't see wine ever trying to be what you want - that's what virtual machines are for.

However, I have researched a tiny bit myself - only a tiny bit - as I have some Windows applications I would LOVE to be able to run on my Android tablet and my Android phone. I have read an article then mentions something about android x86 wine, but I really don't understand what that is. I also saw this post https://www.maketecheasier.com/run-wind ... with-wine/ on the net that seems to imply some type of hardware emulation may be possible with QEMU. My basic knowledge is the QEMU is a free virtual machine emulator. What little I have read on that still implies that even with Android the device itself still needs to be x86 based.

I hope the day comes when I understand enough to know what may or may not be coming and how to implement it.