I have not found any version of Wine to work in Android 6.0

Questions about Wine on Android
Writerscramp

I have not found any version of Wine to work in Android 6.0

Post by Writerscramp »

Hi All ... I have a RCA Android 6.0 tablet I sure would love to get Wine to work in, but have not found a single version that works. I have tried nearly all Wine versions from 3.0 to 5.0. The majority do install properly, but I THEN get error message when I try run/install any exe files on every piece of software I have attempted to install. I am not trying to install any elaborate programs, even the simplest windows word processor programs just a few mb big can't even install. Many other versions I have downloaded also simply fail to install, get message "installation incomplete" then screen crashes. Any advice from anyone of any version that has no glitches for an Android 6.0 ? THANKS
L. Rahyen

Re: I have not found any version of Wine to work in Android 6.0

Post by L. Rahyen »

In this article about Wine for Android there is the following important point:
Wine for Android brings Wine to Android, obviously. Wine is not an Emulator (which is actually a recursive backronym for the name), so it can only run architecture-specific versions of apps — the ARM version of Wine for Android will only run ARM applications, and not x86.
There are x86-based Android devices but they are rare, so if you are not sure, then most likely you have ARM-based device. In your message you do not mention the architecture at all. If your tablet is ARM based, are you sure you are trying to run ARM applications in Wine and you installed ARM-version of Wine? Please not that on ARM you will be ablo to run only Windows programs that have been ported to Windows RT 32-bit OS for ARM architectures.
Writerscramp

Post by Writerscramp »

Rahyen ... thank you for reply, yes I have tried arn & x86 versions as well, I get same exe failures on all Wine version types. Also yes, the Windows software I have been trying to install is all originally for Windows 32 bit, all simple small word processing programs no more than 7mb in size
Writerscramp

Post by Writerscramp »

PS: and I did just confirm from spec sheet that the tablet is ARM system
L. Rahyen

Post by L. Rahyen »

Software for x86 32-bit Windows will not work on ARM tablet, so this is expected. It does not matter if it is simple - it uses machine codes intended for different CPU architecture, so it cannot work. If you want to run Windows applications on your tablet anyway, try running programs compiled for Windows RT ARM architecture: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showth ... ?t=2092348 - there you can find many Windows software ported to ARM including Notepad++ and many others. If you really need to run x86 Windows software, try Bochs - it is virtual machine capable of emulating x86 32-bit architecture, it will be very slow, but may work for simple 32-bit programs and old Windows version (XP or lower).
Writerscramp

Post by Writerscramp »

Rhayen ... well if Wine can't even run the most basic unmodified 32-bit Windows software one has in their collection, it sure reduces what Wine is even good for, not everyone has the skills to do those needed rt modifications. That eliminates just about every piece of Windows office & productvity software made from 1995 to 2011. Thanks
smidgeon

Post by smidgeon »

Wine installed (from Play Store) and runs on my Android 6.0, but apparently there's no way to use it as keyboards are not accessible.
~
[Wiki.WineHQ.org]"Keyboard Issue

Currently the Keyboard won't pop up by itself as you would expect it. A workaround is to install the App "Hacker's Keyboard" from F-Droid or the Play Store. Then open its settings and check "Use permanent notification". Now, when running Wine you can swipe down the notification area to enable the keyboard when you need it. "
~
Installed Hacker's Keyboard but swiping down the menu while running Wine offers no keyboard options.
Searched Hacker's Keyboard on F-Droid: It looks like F-Droid does not have any apps matching your search string "hacker's keyboard"