[NEWBIE][Android-ARM] Running unsupported programs?

Questions about Wine on Android
lolcocks

[NEWBIE][Android-ARM] Running unsupported programs?

Post by lolcocks »

Hello,

First of all, I am a noob, I am simply trying to run a really old game on my Android.

Unfortunately I have an ARM CPU on both my phones (Moto G4 and Nexus 6P).

Since it's an old game, I tried DOSBox but it did not support the game.

Next I decided to give Wine a shot, but since I have an ARM CPU, I was unable to run the exe.

Next I gave Limbo with qemu a shot, installed Windows XP but the performance was extremely poor, the OS would take more than an hour to start.

Are there any other options available?
Also, I heard Wine with qemu support is coming? Is that true or just a rumor?

Thank you.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: [NEWBIE][Android-ARM] Running unsupported programs?

Post by Bob Wya »

@lolcocks

You're probably looking for: https://github.com/AndreRH/hangover.

Also I'd recommend taking a look at the talk that Stefan Dösinger and André Hentschel (primary developers of this project) did last summer: Having Fun With Emulators.
I was there to see their talks in person - both the one in 2017 (first talk about the project?) and the 2018 one. Both were quick entertaining!

André did talk about trying to Upstream some improvements to qemu.
Since currently qemu does some rather "brain-dead" translation of instructions, from one CPU architecture to another, i.e. it's a jack of all trades and a master (in performance terms) of none!
There is apparently a lot of potential for significant optimisations in qemu's x86 -> ARM64 translation layer.

Bob
lolcocks

Re: [NEWBIE][Android-ARM] Running unsupported programs?

Post by lolcocks »

Bob Wya wrote:@lolcocks

You're probably looking for: https://github.com/AndreRH/hangover.

Also I'd recommend taking a look at the talk that Stefan Dösinger and André Hentschel (primary developers of this project) did last summer: Having Fun With Emulators.
I was there to see their talks in person - both the one in 2017 (first talk about the project?) and the 2018 one. Both were quick entertaining!

André did talk about trying to Upstream some improvements to qemu.
Since currently qemu does some rather "brain-dead" translation of instructions, from one CPU architecture to another, i.e. it's a jack of all trades and a master (in performance terms) of none!
There is apparently a lot of potential for significant optimisations in qemu's x86 -> ARM64 translation layer.

Bob

Thank you for your response Bob.

I did try Hangover but I have attached a screenshot of the error I receive.

Maybe it needs some dependencies like Visual C++ I guess.
Attachments
Screenshot_20190620-132325_Hangover.png