WineHQ
Wine Forums

Board index » WineHQ » Wine Help » Android

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:18 am 

Hello Wine-community,

i write this because i have a certain idea about compatibility-issues of wine on Android >= 8.0.0 devices.
First i want to say that i am trying to run my favourite programming-language - thinBasic - on my Android 8.0.0 smartphone Motorola Moto e5. (ARM)

As a fact, i tried Exagear that is based on Wine and in general it works to execute thinBasic-scripts. That tells me there's no incompatibility. Even it needs a little makeover and adjustments to present thinBasic as a smartphone-app.p But i do not like other users have to pay for exagear when they want to use thinBasic on their smartphones.

Now for wine:
As first, there are 3 possibilities to have Android running. Either just on the built-in memory of the phone, or with sd-card. The sd-card can be used as a portable/removable device or it can be formatted as a permanent memory-extension that has to remain with the phone.
I have the 3rd option and extended my phones memory from built-in 16GB with additional 64 GB as a permanent extension.

It's now like i have only access to what is noded to /storage/emulated/0/
Everything else counts as internal memory or system, strictly guarded by google...

So when wine is installed and tries to unpack and prepare its wotking-directory somewhere noded at /mnt/expand/9bb1e537-09ff-4c71-af6a-af4aa199f6ac/user/0 it only has permission to write in external storage and the initial installation fails partially because it can not save the settings and adjustments.

Since i - as the owner of the phone -do have no permission to look whats going on i can not provide you with memory-dumps, logfiles nor anything else...

I did the following: i used DualSpace,some environment-wrapper that i use to hack games inside a playstation-emulator on my phone. I hope you understand what this is. When i ran wine-startup after re-installation from within the virtual environment there were a few differences, like winefile.exe was able to create new folders, just to mention one.

But still missing things as scrollbars on console-window or the bar on top of the screen and the console opens automatic on startup. When i close all running applets within wine then wine terminates.

i observed, even if drive Z: correctly setup, in the console i can not change dir (cd Z:) - it remains on C:. But i can successfully ask to show Dir Z:
-without scrollbars at the console this is pretty annoying, even if i type help i can only see commands from M to Z...
I can not bring any windows-executables inside wine environment because of missing permissions for internal storage, but i can open documents as .txt-files and also create textfiles if within DualSpace.
If there were some unzip-utility within the distribution - i am sure it were possible to import my required data into wine-environment...

So my suggest/request since my phone is not rooted nor is it possible to input the path for installation and data-files or working-directories and i do not have a pc nor any idea how to create a build for an apk to setup wine correctly:
is there someone who can create a build of wine 4.2.-arm-.apk that will install wine - but especially its data-path to external memory for example all to
/storage/emulated/0/Wine
or at least the data to
/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.WineHQ.wine/ ?

René

Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:31 am 

Addendum
For sure wine data has to be installed to
/storage/emulated/0/android/data/org.WineHQ.wine
Then it's possible to access data in subfolders noded there. I don't know if possible to mount /storage/emulated/0 there but there could be an equivalent as drive_z to have a shared area for the user to place and retrieve data or files

Post Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:18 pm 

Hi folks,
Seems i am entertaining myself here only... but for something serious on topic: i tried many things to bring the wine-4.2-arm.apk on my unrooted phone to run. I had a bit of success and now i am pretty sure what causes the "ACCESS DENIED"-issue.
Wine does not request permisson to start or stop other threads/programs nor does it request the right to install any programs, especially not from unknown sources.

I patched and hacked the current version a bit... even with an unrooted phone i came a few steps forward... i added a few permissions to the manifest.xml before installing it. After installation i started the initial run from within dual space and i can say : yes, there's some bug that makes the built-in applets crash sometimes.
I came across something in the registry about video, can be there"s missong some driver? The value of the reg-Key says i should check my built because of a missing video-driver...
Howevet i am pretty sure that i will find a solution to install and run programs that are not shipped with wine. I will try to inject additional permissions the manifest through some dummy-apk with same name and let the installer install it as update, patch or fix...

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Board index » WineHQ » Wine Help » Android