"the program has encountered a serious problem"

Questions about Wine on Android
Jigga

"the program has encountered a serious problem"

Post by Jigga »

I tried to run the old windows game "Empire Earth" on Wine app on my android device, and i receive the error "the program has encountered a serious problem...".
What should I do?
dimesio

Re: "the program has encountered a serious problem"

Post by dimesio »

Is your Android device x86 or ARM? If it's ARM, you can't run x86 apps on it without a CPU emulator.
Jigga

Post by Jigga »

dimesio wrote:Is your Android device x86 or ARM? If it's ARM, you can't run x86 apps on it without a CPU emulator.
You mean to Limbo app and such apps? I prefer staying with Wine, seems more proffesional app.
Or did you meant that there is a CPU Emulator that makes the Wine app to think that I have a x86 CPU?
Sorry for not having a knowledge with those things :|
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

I mean something like QEMU, which apparently is what the Limbo app is. As to how to get it to work on Android, let us know if you figure that out. The only documentation we have is for QEMU/Linux, and that's pretty old.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17701
https://wiki.winehq.org/ARM
dirkmitt
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dirkmitt »

I have an observation which may be interesting to the OP, if he's desperately wanting to get Wine working under Android.

From what I gather, the ARM-version of Wine will run applications which were once made for 'Windows RT', which Microsoft has discontinued support for. And the x86 -version of the Wine APK will only run on an Android device, the CPU of which is already an x86.

I had 'Limbo' installed once, and it did work. But, the main drawback in its use, is the fact that we'd either need to mount an ISO, which presumably contains an x86 -CPU -compatible boot-image, or otherwise, that we'd follow a shortcut that app's developer provided, for installing Linux.

Then, once we have Linux running, we can install Wine on top of that, as already explained Here (as if it was a portable Wine installation). Doing so would never involve the made-for Android Wine APKs.

There would be two main problems, if we did this:

1) 'QEMU' would not have access to the device's graphics-hardware, and

2) CPU emulators are painfully slow.

Modern graphics games require hardware graphics acceleration, which this construction would not allow access to, and, when I did have Limbo running on an earlier tablet, even to have it running a barebones Linux image, as I wrote above, was painfully slow. So a person would need to be looking for a way to run something utilitarian, which Windows happened to provide but which Android does not (namely what), but without fancy graphics.

Dirk