Android x86 Access Denied

Questions about Wine on Android
lollylops
Level 1
Level 1

Android x86 Access Denied

Post by lollylops »

Hi, does Android x86 version of Wine actually work? How do we install things? IE doesn't download anything.

I rooted my device to copy files into the Wine folder (tried the 'server share' and the c drive) to find them in Wine however I can't install anything as when I try to access anything it says Access Denied.

I have problems with Crossover Beta for Android as well, it never starts or finishes installing anything but that's a different topic.

I'm guessing I should just give up on Android for now until it's worked on more?

Thanks.
dimesio

Re: Android x86 Access Denied

Post by dimesio »

Try using external storage.
lollylops
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lollylops »

Ok I worked it out.

You can change directory to z:\storage\emulated\0\ and access the internal storage files. From there I just went to my downloads folder and installed steam. Now the fonts and dpi is screwed in steam so I can't use it but at least I can install things now.

Edit: I see I can use winecfg to mess around with settings, lets see if I can get steam usable.
watchpelis

Post by watchpelis »

Hello.

I have the same error "access denied"
i putted the software " sliverlight.exe " in both local disk and memory card but both gives me same error.
i dont know why i have this error and how to resolve it.

Please help me.
Best regards.
brettzx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by brettzx »

Did you turn on storage permission for the Wine app in Android settings? I use the install function of Wine to navigate to my phones download folder for installer files.

I'm using the Wine x86 build and I was able to install Steam without issue, and games seem to install but don't actually start. The store part of Steam will also not work for me. I get the best results with Wine version 3.12, which no longer gave a Steam bootstrapper error every few minutes but still no luck with actual games...
KevynTD

Post by KevynTD »

I found a solution for me!

OBS: My Wine is 4.9 ARM, I think it might work, because the problem is in permissions, but I'll leave it here! My phone is the Galaxy S8+ with Android 9.

I've been trying to open some file from my phone, and I could not, I have all the permissions and everything right on the android, and nothing worked, the same message appears to me.

So I tried to access with some commands. I managed to copy the files from the cell phone into the wine and run. Please follow these steps:

- Type "winefile" in the "wine command prompt"
(This will open an own Wine explorer, it does not work very well with the mouse so all I tried was a few mouse clicks and toggle the folders with the keyboard)

- Access the folder of your file on android
(In my case I got a whole folder of Notepad++, and it worked, here I can find some Windows RT programs [for ARM]: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showth ... ?t=2092348)

- Press "File" in the top menu

- Press "Copy"

- Now enter the final address where you can copy the file (you have to manually type it unfortunately, in the version I got it is not working the folder search mode. In my case I put "C:\Program Files\" and copied a whole folder)

- Press "OK"

So, even with access denied but seeing the file, I was able to copy files from my phone to wine and I was able to run Notepad ++ copied directly from my SD card!

I wanted to leave this solution registered, because I did not find this solution anywhere.
Edna A. Kelley

Post by Edna A. Kelley »

lollylops wrote:Hi, does Android x86 version of Wine actually work? How do we install things? IE doesn't download anything.

I rooted my device to copy files into the Wine folder (tried the 'server share' and the c drive) to find them in Wine however I can't install anything as when I try to access anything it says Access Denied.

I have problems with Crossover Beta for Android as well, it never starts or finishes installing anything but that's a different topic.

I'm guessing I should just give up on Android for now until it's worked on more?

Thanks.
that version actually work for me.
Babanaqash

Post by Babanaqash »

lollylops wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:38 am Hi, does Android x86 version of Wine actually work? How do we install things? IE doesn't download anything.

Thanks.
Try again using external storage. It will start working
leonardo2

Post by leonardo2 »

I tried to access with the steps typed by KevynTD, but I didn't get.
If I have understood you well your solution is to copy my windows file (in my case an .exe file) from my android enviroment to wine (windows enviroment).
My problem is after typing winefile I can't copy my .exe file to wine. After copying on android environtment (in download folder) I come back to wine and it's not the Paste option in file menu.

On other hand and as an additional and independent solution I have renamed Z Directory (that originally appears empty) with the following address: /storage/emulated/0/ inside drive option in winecfg. It doesn't work too.

I don't know how to go on.

I'm Spanish so sorry for my English. I hope I had explained well my problem.
hamzakemal
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hamzakemal »

The reason for this access denied error is: When trying to run a 32-bit program on ARM processors, it gives this error. But if it gives this error on 32-bit processors, I don't know why. :(