Android x86 Access Denied

Questions about Wine on Android
lollylops
Level 1
Level 1

Android x86 Access Denied

Post by lollylops » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:38 am

Hi, does Android x86 version of Wine actually work? How do we install things? IE doesn't download anything.

I rooted my device to copy files into the Wine folder (tried the 'server share' and the c drive) to find them in Wine however I can't install anything as when I try to access anything it says Access Denied.

I have problems with Crossover Beta for Android as well, it never starts or finishes installing anything but that's a different topic.

I'm guessing I should just give up on Android for now until it's worked on more?

Thanks.

dimesio

Re: Android x86 Access Denied

Post by dimesio » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:46 am

Try using external storage.

lollylops
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lollylops » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:55 pm

Ok I worked it out.

You can change directory to z:\storage\emulated\0\ and access the internal storage files. From there I just went to my downloads folder and installed steam. Now the fonts and dpi is screwed in steam so I can't use it but at least I can install things now.

Edit: I see I can use winecfg to mess around with settings, lets see if I can get steam usable.

watchpelis

Post by watchpelis » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:24 am

Hello.

I have the same error "access denied"
i putted the software " sliverlight.exe " in both local disk and memory card but both gives me same error.
i dont know why i have this error and how to resolve it.

Please help me.
Best regards.

brettzx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by brettzx » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:18 pm

Did you turn on storage permission for the Wine app in Android settings? I use the install function of Wine to navigate to my phones download folder for installer files.

I'm using the Wine x86 build and I was able to install Steam without issue, and games seem to install but don't actually start. The store part of Steam will also not work for me. I get the best results with Wine version 3.12, which no longer gave a Steam bootstrapper error every few minutes but still no luck with actual games...

KevynTD

Post by KevynTD » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:04 pm

I found a solution for me!

OBS: My Wine is 4.9 ARM, I think it might work, because the problem is in permissions, but I'll leave it here! My phone is the Galaxy S8+ with Android 9.

I've been trying to open some file from my phone, and I could not, I have all the permissions and everything right on the android, and nothing worked, the same message appears to me.

So I tried to access with some commands. I managed to copy the files from the cell phone into the wine and run. Please follow these steps:

- Type "winefile" in the "wine command prompt"
(This will open an own Wine explorer, it does not work very well with the mouse so all I tried was a few mouse clicks and toggle the folders with the keyboard)

- Access the folder of your file on android
(In my case I got a whole folder of Notepad++, and it worked, here I can find some Windows RT programs [for ARM]: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showth ... ?t=2092348)

- Press "File" in the top menu

- Press "Copy"

- Now enter the final address where you can copy the file (you have to manually type it unfortunately, in the version I got it is not working the folder search mode. In my case I put "C:\Program Files\" and copied a whole folder)

- Press "OK"

So, even with access denied but seeing the file, I was able to copy files from my phone to wine and I was able to run Notepad ++ copied directly from my SD card!

I wanted to leave this solution registered, because I did not find this solution anywhere.

Edna A. Kelley

Post by Edna A. Kelley » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:26 am

lollylops wrote:Hi, does Android x86 version of Wine actually work? How do we install things? IE doesn't download anything.

I rooted my device to copy files into the Wine folder (tried the 'server share' and the c drive) to find them in Wine however I can't install anything as when I try to access anything it says Access Denied.

I have problems with Crossover Beta for Android as well, it never starts or finishes installing anything but that's a different topic.

I'm guessing I should just give up on Android for now until it's worked on more?

Thanks.
that version actually work for me.