Android Oreo compatibility issue

Questions about Wine on Android
SmilerOnline
Level 1
Level 1

Android Oreo compatibility issue

Post by SmilerOnline »

I have tested Wine 3.0 on multiple devices and read many comments on XDA from users.
And the conclusion is that the app works fine in Android 7 (Nougat) and below, but it doesn't work with Oreo.

My primary device the Samsung Galaxy S8+ offers a desktop environment titled 'Samsung DeX' where Wine would make a great degree of sense, but on the Oreo build which I am running it doesn't work, yet it works for those on the Nougat build.
*Tested on the S8+ in both phone and desktop/DeX mode.

My Nexus 6P doesn't work with it either (running Android 8.1.0).

The app will launch, run through the setting up environment dialog, and then display a black screen afterwards.
dimesio

Re: Android Oreo compatibility issue

Post by dimesio »

SmilerOnline
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SmilerOnline »

Will this issue be resolved any time soon?

I've tried every 3.x ARM build on Samsung DeX to try and run Windows desktop apps on Android desktop, but Wine on Android appears to be seeing no love from the developers. :(
Carl
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Carl »

Black/gray/yellow/green/red/puple whatever screen can be fixed by changing "Set GPU Renderer" to Skia (from developer options) and then reinstalling Wine !!!
(or you can just clear application data for Wine)

BUT there is another problem, at least for me, I can't install new programs, because of "access denied" when clicking on the installer file (inside wine).

So far I've tried to launch exe's:
1) from default downloads folder
2) moving them to wine data directories (root folders)
but still nothing

I think there's something to do with Oreo security permissions or something, but im not sure.

I'm on android 8.1, OnePlus 2 with ResurrectionRemix ROM
Carl
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Carl »

Okay, that permission error can be fixed by changing exe file permissions to 777 (I used Total Commander for that)
SmilerOnline
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SmilerOnline »

Carl wrote:Okay, that permission error can be fixed by changing exe file permissions to 777 (I used Total Commander for that)
Total commander fails to change it for me.
daniel_cassian

Post by daniel_cassian »

Did the skia thing and reinstalled. Even tried clearing the data...still black screen. Note 9 Exynos running on 8.1.0 November patch
Any other ideas?
Carl
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Carl »

daniel_cassian wrote:Did the skia thing and reinstalled. Even tried clearing the data...still black screen. Note 9 Exynos running on 8.1.0 November patch
Any other ideas?
If you restarted your phone, then you should know that reboot reverts skia back to default.
Jeylectro
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jeylectro »

SmilerOnline wrote:
Carl wrote:Okay, that permission error can be fixed by changing exe file permissions to 777 (I used Total Commander for that)
Total commander fails to change it for me.
Having the same problem here
Banchuong

Post by Banchuong »

Does your device have root access? My device is not rooted and I cannot grant 777 permission
traveler1221

Re: Android Oreo compatibility issue / what devices work at

Post by traveler1221 »

I have tested on
Samsung T820N
Samsung T825N
Samsung T580 A (Android 7)
Huawei Mediapad 3
Huawei Mediapad 5
Trekstor B10
I forgot what and where but if the app could be started it had a black screen only and it was not possible to associate .exe files with the app ( options are greyed out ).
On Samsung came a message "wine has paused/stopped"
I think Trekstor has Android 6.
So it would be helpful if anyone could post on what devices this awesome app actually works without special tricks.
KLB1992

Post by KLB1992 »

I have the LG V30 with adroid 8.0 (oreo) and I am having the same issues. It openes to a black screen, says it is fetching files and such, a blue bordered white screen tries to po up but then it flashes black and nothing. I can leave with a simple "back" click and reenter the program, but nothing has fixed it. I have even installed earlier versions of wine in hopes that one of them would work. PLEASE HELP! I am trying to use a word processor called "Scrivener" and they are not interested in making it for android, only Windows, mac, and ios. I REALLY do not want to go to an iphone but that's the direction it looks I may have to go...