Changes to WineHQ Download instructions for Debian / Ubuntu

Post issues, bugs, and feature requests about the various WineHQ websites to this forum.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Changes to WineHQ Download instructions for Debian / Ubuntu

Post by Bob Wya »

Hi folks,

Could someone kindly cast a second pair of eyes over: which hopefully make it easier to install the WineHQ repositories - due to less manual interventions being required by the end-user... 8)

If these look OK, then I'll update the WineHQ Wiki Download pages...

Thanks
Bob
dimesio

Re: Changes to WineHQ Download instructions for Debian / Ubu

Post by dimesio »

The manual instructions for adding the repositories should not be removed from the wiki pages; there are users who want to learn. If you just want to add information about/links to your scripts, that's fine.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

dimesio wrote:The manual instructions for adding the repositories should not be removed from the wiki pages; there are users who want to learn. If you just want to add information about/links to your scripts, that's fine.
I was hoping to replace the current code blocks...
Hence why I kept detailed comments in place, about what each step of the script is doing...
I was going to put some spiel before the code block about what it does, as well.

Bob
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Replace with what? IMO, for a user with little or no experience in command line usage or scripting, your script would be harder to understand than what's there now.

I think it's fine to mention there's a script that will automate the process and add a download link, or paste a copy of the script in a code block, but scripts are not a replacement for documentation.