Toleration of Cracks on APPDB?

Post issues, bugs, and feature requests about the various WineHQ websites to this forum.
here
Level 2
Level 2

Toleration of Cracks on APPDB?

Post by here »

Sometimes a cracked application works better with Wine because the copy protection system that is using windows function in a creative way is gone.
My Question is, if we as maintainers get submissions for cracked versions or find them, should we remove them or accept them as it might work better for certain games&applications?
has a version called "FitGirl Repack" which is definately not a legit one
dimesio

Re: Toleration of Cracks on APPDB?

Post by dimesio »

Cracked versions should never be accepted as version entries; I've deleted the one you pointed out.

Less clear is the case where a user submits a test report for a legitimate version of a game, but mentions having used a no-cd crack to work around some problem. There are lots of those in the AppDB, particularly for older test reports. Whether they should or shouldn't be accepted is open to debate, but AFAIK the issue has never been discussed amongst admins/maintainers, at least not during the time I've been around.

So at present I'd say it's up to the individual maintainer to decide whether or not to accept test reports submitted to a legitimate version entry that merely mention using a crack, with the caveat that the test report must not contain any explicit instructions on how to find and/or use it. (Whether to delete the offending information or reject those tests outright is up to the maintainer.)