Can't review for AppDB

Post issues, bugs, and feature requests about the various WineHQ websites to this forum.
paul1149
Level 2
Level 2

Can't review for AppDB

Post by paul1149 »

I did a review for the AppDB, and it was rejected because my Wine version was too old. I am on MX17, which is Debian 9.3, Stretch, and I installed Wine-staging from the MX repository.

So I uninstalled that, and went through the instructions to add deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/debian/ Stretch main, the only difference is that I turned off https. Everything went well.

But I went into Synaptics, only to find that the Wine staging version is now 2.21.0-stretch, and that also is not listed as acceptable at the AppDB.

So I don't know how to install a later version, or how to contribute to the AppDB.
dimesio

Re: Can't review for AppDB

Post by dimesio »

Wine-staging has not been updated in several months, and it is unclear at the moment what is going to happen to that branch. https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=44406

You can submit test reports for the latest development or stable release. Your rating should be based on the version actually tested, but if you find problems in the stable or development release that you know are not present in the old wine-staging release you can mention that in the Extra Comments section.
paul1149
Level 2
Level 2

Post by paul1149 »

Ok, thanks. I've switched over to Stable 3.0.
jzach

Post by jzach »

I find the policy for accepting appdb reviews absolutely weird. Not allowing reviews for a wine version, which is in the stable version of a major distribution like Debian cuts off millions from using wine. This egocentric view of the winehq community is very strange.

I can fully understand that you do not want to have reports about failing programs for an old versions, where the issues may have been resolved already in a newer version. But what is the point of rejecting reviews for successfully running a program on an old version. Millions running a stable version of Debian, who do not want to fiddle around with installing software, which is not in their distribution, could benefit from it. This would give wine a much better reputation at normal users communities.

Or do you see wine as a nerd's playground, which should not be used by people, who are in favour of a stable OS?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

The AppDB accepts reviews for the last 8 Wine releases. With the current release schedule, this means that the latest stable release is always on the list, and most of the time the last two stable releases are on the list, for over three months. This is in line with policies on the forum and bugzilla; if anyone asks for help or files a bug for a version that old, the first thing they are told is to upgrade. WineHQ provides up-to-date stable and development release packages for Debian Wheezy, Jessie, Stretch, Buster, and Sid precisely because the distro does not.
Basiani1202

Post by Basiani1202 »

Wine devels are blocking wine users to share their test results about staging version.
Reason is that staging version has better performance compared vanila and no one wants to use Codeweavers proprietary Crossover. So they are blocking Wine-Staging. If WINE user wants better performance, they must buy Crossover. This is reason why staging version discontinued. Yes, here is experimental repos for staging, but no option to share our test results.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Basiani1202 wrote:Wine devels are blocking wine users to share their test results about staging version.
Reason is that staging version has better performance compared vanila and no one wants to use Codeweavers proprietary Crossover. So they are blocking Wine-Staging. If WINE user wants better performance, they must buy Crossover. This is reason why staging version discontinued. Yes, here is experimental repos for staging, but no option to share our test results.
Nonsense. Wine-staging is an official branch of Wine; the people working on it are Wine developers. It has been discontinued at present because the former maintainers stopped working on it for months without communicating with anyone, then finally resigned their positions. Another Wine developer has been working on getting the branch up-to-date, and as soon as it becomes official, the staging checkbox in the AppDB will be re-enabled. In the mean time, submit test results for plain Wine and use the Extra comments field to describe any differences with staging.