Should Wine version be updated in own existing tests?

Post issues, bugs, and feature requests about the various WineHQ websites to this forum.
Faalagorn
Level 2
Level 2

Should Wine version be updated in own existing tests?

Post by Faalagorn »

Again, not an actual feature request or an issue, but a question related to AppDB: When I update my Wine version on my system, and the game seems to works fine as previously, should I update the version listed in my test results?

Since I use a rolling-release system, it's often for me to update Wine and continue using just the new version, replacing the old one totallly. So far I never encountered any regression bugs, so I never had an actual reason to use an old Wine version, though I never updated my previous test results with the new version - is it possible/advised to just update the Wine version for the newest one the game seems to work fine, or is it advised to perform a whole new test for each test result? Like I said, I never had any regression bugs so far, but I obviously don't test the game so extensively like the first time - I don't install it again, I don't create a new save file/character and possible don't use all the game features each time I update the Wine. On the other hand, I don't want the test result to get stale after some time, when the game still works flawlessly and making a new test with the only difference being a different Wine version, where the OS, hardware, tweaks used and test cases are exact same seems redundant.

So, which is the correct approach? Is it possible to update the Wine version when there seems to be no regressions bugs in your application, or do you have to make a new test every so often? Does it include the installation procedure and creating a new save with games? Is there any general guidelines/rules of thumb? Thank you for the replies in advance :)
dimesio

Re: Should Wine version be updated in own existing tests?

Post by dimesio »

Faalagorn wrote: Is it possible to update the Wine version when there seems to be no regressions bugs in your application,
Absolutely not.
or do you have to make a new test every so often? Does it include the installation procedure and creating a new save with games?
Yes.