Finding a maintainer for Oxygen Not Included?

Post issues, bugs, and feature requests about the various WineHQ websites to this forum.
Storm Engineer
Level 2
Level 2

Finding a maintainer for Oxygen Not Included?

Post by Storm Engineer »

Let me say this first: I'm a noob. I have neither the time, nor the competence to be a maintainer.

I just started testing Oxygen Not Included Alpha using dual boot. It's great but rebooting every time is just a pain, I wish it worked on Wine. Linux port is planned but will probably take a long while, given it's early Alpha.

It's so new it did not have an App DB entry yet so I submitted one:
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=34975

But as said above, I have neither time nor competence to be a maintainer. So how could we possibly find someone who is willing and ready to take it?

Thread about the game under wine on the developer's forums:
http://forums.kleientertainment.com/top ... ne-status/
dimesio

Re: Finding a maintainer for Oxygen Not Included?

Post by dimesio »

I'm not sure why you think you need to find one. It's good if someone volunteers, but there are lots of entries without maintainers. Processing test reports submitted for apps/games that don't have maintainers is done by the AppDB admins.

BTW, I think you are overestimating how much work is involved in maintaining an AppDB entry. Even the most popular apps (e.g., Steam, Microsoft Office) don't get all that many test reports submitted.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

Storm Engineer wrote:...

Thread about the game under wine on the developer's forums:
http://forums.kleientertainment.com/top ... ne-status/
As was discussed in the thread - this Unity game requires DirectX 11 support.
Your graphics hardware and graphics driver needs to support a suitable OpenGL profile to support DirectX 11.
Plus the DirectX->OpenGL compatibility layer Wine implements needs to be working...
Things are getting there - with Wine - but most DirectX 11 games that can be run (many more still crash immediately) - still have multiple rendering and performance issues.

Having an AppDB maintainer for ONI isn't going to fix this issue.

Bob
Storm Engineer
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Storm Engineer »

dimesio wrote:I'm not sure why you think you need to find one.
Oh, I see. It did not show up in any search at all, I only managed to find the page through finding a link t my test result. I thought it's not showing up because it has no maintainer.
BTW, I think you are overestimating how much work is involved in maintaining an AppDB entry.
Maybe, but I don't even have enough time and energy for the very important things, and I know myself, if I were to volunteer I would end up neglecting it. :(

Bob Wya wrote:As was discussed in the thread - this Unity game requires DirectX 11 support.
Your graphics hardware and graphics driver needs to support a suitable OpenGL profile to support DirectX 11.
Plus the DirectX->OpenGL compatibility layer Wine implements needs to be working...
Things are getting there - with Wine - but most DirectX 11 games that can be run (many more still crash immediately) - still have multiple rendering and performance issues.
As stated above I'm a noob. I have no idea how Wine internals work, half of what you wrote above is beyond my understanding. And that's why I'm trying to make some noise about this game hoping that someone actually competent may jump in and figure if there is anything that can be done at the moment to make the game work.

All I could do is make a bugreport and pray.