WineHQ Website revamp - some issues with the new style AppDB

Post issues, bugs, and feature requests about the various WineHQ websites to this forum.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

WineHQ Website revamp - some issues with the new style AppDB

Post by Bob Wya »

Hiya folks,

Just to say I appreciate the new look of the website and the hard work that went into the switch... The site was starting to look very dated after all!

But I'm not a massive fan of the new fixed height constraint of the AppDB maintainer note sections.
This probably works fine for "maintainers" that don't actually type any instructions for the applications they maintain!
However I tend to put in copious notes in the AppDB pages I maintain... But now these notes are effectively "hidden" behind a tiny (vertically constrained) pane - with a scrollbar.
Great for mobile I'm sure - but not for Desktop use...

For example see the new style AppDB page for Battlefield 2 ...
The new style notes/how-to blocks are painful to read - because users will not be able to skim over the notes/how-to blocks - in their entirety - but will have to scroll up and down in a tiny vertical pane...
Previously the notes/how-to blocks would not have an imposed height constraint. That worked better for me. Considering, like many folk, I'm accessing the site on a 1080p laptop or an external 1440p monitor.

Any thoughts?
Robert
dimesio

Re: WineHQ Website revamp - some issues with the new style A

Post by dimesio »

Bob Wya wrote: The new style notes/how-to blocks are painful to read - because users will not be able to skim over the notes/how-to blocks - in their entirety - but will have to scroll up and down in a tiny vertical pane...
Previously the notes/how-to blocks would not have an imposed height constraint. That worked better for me.
I agree. I'm not sure closely Jeremy Newman is monitoring this subforum; you might want to file a bug and cc him. (It's not something I have the skill to fix.)
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

dimesio wrote: I agree. I'm not sure closely Jeremy Newman is monitoring this subforum; you might want to file a bug and cc him. (It's not something I have the skill to fix.)
Sure thing... Thanks!!
jnewman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jnewman »

I am annoyed with how that page is laid out, forcing users to scroll past the howto's and notes to get to the comments is very annoying. But, I can also see how forcing you to scroll in a little box on a smaller screen is annoying as well.

The correct fix would be to display the howtos as links and open them in a new page when clicked.

For now I've removed the scroll.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

jnewman wrote:I am annoyed with how that page is laid out, forcing users to scroll past the howto's and notes to get to the comments is very annoying. But, I can also see how forcing you to scroll in a little box on a smaller screen is annoying as well.
Jeremy, I have to whole heartly agree with your annoyance!

I was wondering whether it's possible to make the 4 main sections collapsable? I.e.:
  • Test Results (expanded by default)
  • Known Bugs (collapsed by default)
  • HowTo / Notes (collapsed by default)
  • Comments (expanded by default)
Each of the 4 headings would be a clickable element - to collapse / expand the respective section...

Just a thought - so I'm not sure about the order of complexity to implement it!
Bob
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Bob Wya wrote: I was wondering whether it's possible to make the 4 main sections collapsable? I.e.:
Each of the 4 headings would be a clickable element - to collapse / expand the respective section...
That's now been implemented. The one difference is that I set all sections to be collapsed by default so users will see all the headings when first visiting the page. Hopefully that will alleviate the problem of users who don't realize there is more to the page than just the latest test result simply because they didn't bother to scroll down.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

dimesio wrote:
Bob Wya wrote: I was wondering whether it's possible to make the 4 main sections collapsable? I.e.:
That's now been implemented. The one difference is that I set all sections to be collapsed by default so users will see all the headings when first visiting the page. Hopefully that will alleviate the problem of users who don't realize there is more to the page than just the latest test result simply because they didn't bother to scroll down.
@dimesio,

Ha ha, I was just going to reply to this thread to thank you!! 8)
I think it's a great improvement. Collapsed as default is a good idea!

Thanks
Bob