WineHQ
Wine Forums

Board index » WineHQ » Website Issues




 Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 



 
Author Message
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:22 pm 
Offline
Level 1
Level 1

Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:09 pm
Posts: 5
Hi Folks,

I tried to keep this quiet and out of the public eye, because it's boring and not helpful. But I have no choice and have to post here because I have no other means of getting help with this. Also, there are some issues that I want to see addressed here.

A bunch of days ago, I submitted two test result sets. However, I erroneously submitted them for the Origin Client page ( https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=26175 ), when I meant to submit them to the SimCity 2013 page ( https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=27821 ).

After submitting them, one was deleted without a relevant reason.

Now, this raises two issues:

1. I tried to email the winehq staff ( appdb@winehq.org , the email address literally listed on the front page) to have the submissions moved to the correct page. I emailed twice, and after several days have heard nothing, and seen no changes made.
2. Both submissions are relevant (to Simcity 2013) and I believe should be kept (and moved to the correct area). One is for 32-bit and one is for 64-bit WINE. The results actually differ between the two submissions, showing that 32-bit currently runs better than 64-bit (sound and video problems).

Now, I also tried, just a few minutes ago, to reach out to someone without publicly adding garbage to comments and other space. I submitted a few tests with messages about asking someone to read my email messages as they are relevant. User "jre" deleted them, which is fine and dandy, however refused to email me back to try and quietly have this resolved. As such I am posting here, which really is just a big waste of my time.

Now, this really should be a straightforward fix. What I would like to see is:

1. Someone actually reading appdb email messages.
2. Have my relevant deleted submission re-instated.
3. Have both useful test submissions moved from Origin Latest to Simcity 2013.

I think that's really about it.


Top 
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:15 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:30 pm
Posts: 11719
BloodyIron wrote:
A bunch of days ago, I submitted two test result sets. However, I erroneously submitted them for the Origin Client page ( https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=26175 ), when I meant to submit them to the SimCity 2013 page ( https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=27821 ).

After submitting them, one was deleted without a relevant reason.

Since you say yourself that they were submitted to the wrong entry, I'd say the reason for the deletion was pretty obvious. There was really nothing else the app maintainer could do: maintainers do not have the ability to move submissions to entries they don't maintain.

Quote:
1. I tried to email the winehq staff ( appdb@winehq.org , the email address literally listed on the front page) to have the submissions moved to the correct page. I emailed twice, and after several days have heard nothing, and seen no changes made.

I don't think anyone is monitoring that email address; I know I'm not. For issues that can be solved by an admin, such as this one, posting here is the best way to reach me; you can also PM me if you prefer. For problems with the AppDB code, you need to file a bug.

Quote:
2. Both submissions are relevant (to Simcity 2013) and I believe should be kept (and moved to the correct area).

There is no way to recover submissions that have been actually deleted rather than rejected. It appears yours were, as I don't see any submissions for Origin in the rejected queue. You'll have to resubmit your test reports, hopefully to the correct entry this time.
Quote:
I submitted a few tests with messages about asking someone to read my email messages as they are relevant. User "jre" deleted them, which is fine and dandy, however refused to email me back to try and quietly have this resolved. As such I am posting here, which really is just a big waste of my time.

The phony test reports were a waste of time; the Origin maintainer is not an AppDB admin and does not have access to the emails you sent or the power to fix your mistake.


Top 
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:30 pm 
Offline
Level 1
Level 1

Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:09 pm
Posts: 5
1. The listed reason was because it was a duplicate, when in fact it was not. To be explicit, the other test was approved (you can see it in the Origin page). As such, there was no relevant reason, in any angle that you look at it, for why it was deleted. But that's semantics.

2. While I can certainly understand that not everyone reads the email account, what I don't understand is why _absolutely nobody responded to my email, or my second email at all_. This completely defeats the point of having email as a means to reach any part of the WINE team. What's up with that?

3. That's unfortunate that the deleted one is not recoverable. I'll resubmit when I get a chance :)

4. If we're going to talk about waste of time here, let's do that. I put plenty of effort into not only collecting and submitting my test results, but trying to actually correct the issues here, in many different ways. I spent far more time than I should have trying to reach a human to correct a minor issue. While I know it isn't idyllic, the method I used, I knew it would actually be read. Don't wag the finger at me when it clearly sounds like the WINE team needs some improvements in it's intercommunications and actual reading of email.

Now, if there's any other way I can help with this, please let me know. I'm here to try to make gaming for others better, and this has been a pretty silly experience.


dimesio wrote:
BloodyIron wrote:
A bunch of days ago, I submitted two test result sets. However, I erroneously submitted them for the Origin Client page ( https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=26175 ), when I meant to submit them to the SimCity 2013 page ( https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=27821 ).

After submitting them, one was deleted without a relevant reason.

Since you say yourself that they were submitted to the wrong entry, I'd say the reason for the deletion was pretty obvious. There was really nothing else the app maintainer could do: maintainers do not have the ability to move submissions to entries they don't maintain.

Quote:
1. I tried to email the winehq staff ( appdb@winehq.org , the email address literally listed on the front page) to have the submissions moved to the correct page. I emailed twice, and after several days have heard nothing, and seen no changes made.

I don't think anyone is monitoring that email address; I know I'm not. For issues that can be solved by an admin, such as this one, posting here is the best way to reach me; you can also PM me if you prefer. For problems with the AppDB code, you need to file a bug.

Quote:
2. Both submissions are relevant (to Simcity 2013) and I believe should be kept (and moved to the correct area).

There is no way to recover submissions that have been actually deleted rather than rejected. It appears yours were, as I don't see any submissions for Origin in the rejected queue. You'll have to resubmit your test reports, hopefully to the correct entry this time.
Quote:
I submitted a few tests with messages about asking someone to read my email messages as they are relevant. User "jre" deleted them, which is fine and dandy, however refused to email me back to try and quietly have this resolved. As such I am posting here, which really is just a big waste of my time.

The phony test reports were a waste of time; the Origin maintainer is not an AppDB admin and does not have access to the emails you sent or the power to fix your mistake.


Top 
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:42 am 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:30 pm
Posts: 11719
Quote:
2. While I can certainly understand that not everyone reads the email account, what I don't understand is why _absolutely nobody responded to my email, or my second email at all_. This completely defeats the point of having email as a means to reach any part of the WINE team. What's up with that?

I believe the AppDB code maintainer monitored that account at one time, but we haven't had an active AppDB code maintainer in years. I agree, that's unfortunate, but Wine is a volunteer project and you can't force people to volunteer.

Quote:
3. That's unfortunate that the deleted one is not recoverable. I'll resubmit when I get a chance :)

Here's the really bad news: you are going to have to resubmit both, because there is no way for anyone, not even an admin, to move a test report that has been accepted to another app entry altogether; it is only possible to move test reports to other versions of the same app. So I am going to have to delete the test that was mistakenly accepted in the Origin entry. I haven't yet, to give you time to copy what you've submitted to another test report. Let me know when you've done that.


Top 
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:16 am 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:30 pm
Posts: 11719
Quote:
One is for 32-bit and one is for 64-bit WINE. The results actually differ between the two submissions, showing that 32-bit currently runs better than 64-bit (sound and video problems).

I just noticed this. It's not clear whether you tested two entirely different systems, one 32 bit and one 64 bit, or merely compared a 32 bit wineprefix to a 64 bit one on the same 64 bit system. If the latter, you should only submit ONE test report and list the problems with a 64 bit wineprefix under "What doesn't work." The rating can still be gold, as using a 32 bit wineprefix is a valid workaround for apps that have 32 bit versions.


Top 
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:19 pm 
Offline
Level 1
Level 1

Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:09 pm
Posts: 5
Hi,

I submitted a sample to Simcity 2013 just now. It should clear things up. I listed it as Platinum because 32-bit really does run that well. I simply mentioned the small issue with 64-bit.

Also, I would like to point out that the CAPTCHA for these forums is not letting me actually log in on another computer. I know I'm using the correct password, but I can't get past it at all :(

Anything else you need me to do?


Top 
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:57 pm 
Offline
Level 1
Level 1

Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:09 pm
Posts: 5
Okay, so since I don't have a way of contacting jre directly, can an admin please pass this along?

I submitted the test result to Simcity 2013, and he made a slight adjustment, but he misunderstood some of it. This is for my test result on the page for Simcity 2013 ( https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=27821 )

jre adjusted the line

from:
"Please consider the following:"

to:
"Please consider the following on 64-bit:"

Now, it should be "Please consider the following:" because the steps are needed for either 32-bit or 64-bit. There are no steps different between 32-bit and 64-bit, and the way it is phrased currently ( "Please consider the following on 64-bit:" ) misrepresents the information.

I would like it changed back to:
"Please consider the following:"

Thanks! :)


Top 
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:27 am 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:58 am
Posts: 1
Hi,

I'm user jre, and AppDB maintainer of both Origin and SimCity 2013 - all in one person ;)
First off, thanks for being persistent in trying to file good test results, I really appreciate this!

About your test result https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=27821:
I re-edited it and dropped the 64-bit remark again. However as already announced, I also downgraded it to gold. I previously sent you the link for the rating definitions: https://appdb.winehq.org//help/?sTopic= ... er_ratings, please have a look at it again.

About communication:
As already stated, this is an open project. Don't be afraid to say something publicly. I know this well-intended tendency to keep things private - this is not necessary here and in this case it just cost me time. Please understand that when I first read your test results (in which you asked me to contact you by e-mail) - those came from an unknown source. My first thought was to just delete it, because I assumed a troll behind it (which you aren't as I now know).
Moreover, posting publicly allows others to learn just by reading, and helps me not to repeat myself if a similar situation arises again. Finally it gives us the possibility of peer review in case I get something wrong.

If really necessary, you may contact maintainers by clicking on their name in the left pane of the AppDB.

I suggest to file a bug at https://bugs.winehq.org/enter_bug.cgi?p ... 20Database about appdb <at> winehq.org. Imo we should either provide a contact point that is actually read, or we should just drop it. Still better than providing an email address that is sent to nirvana. In fact that happened to me too a few years ago - now I know better by this thread (and I also know that I should have filed a bug back then). Even if that bugreport is ignored, it would at least allow others to find it and learn the fact.

Greets
jre


Top 
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:10 am 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:30 pm
Posts: 11719
Hi jre,

Thanks for chiming in. I agree with everything you said.


Top 
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:14 pm 
Offline
Level 1
Level 1

Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:09 pm
Posts: 5
1. You're welcome! As someone who hunts down across the internet for information, I know how much time my diligence _now_ will save other people _later_. It takes a bit more time from me, but has compounding effects when multiple people benefit from this.
2. The downgrade to Gold makes sense, no quarrel there. (I must have missed the link to the rating definitions, but that doesn't matter any more :P )
3. The communication more relates back to point #1, that I want to reduce the amount of reading someone needs to do to get useful info from my results. You have good points here, so, I'll see what I can do in the future :P In this case though it seemed like reading about mis-submissions might have been a waste of someone's time. Maybe not though? I don't know! \o/
4. That's really lame that you didn't see that it was _me_ submitting those test results as messages. Since it required me to log in, I assumed it behaved like _every other form submission around_ and tied the username to the submission. Guess not? D:
5. Shit, I didn't even see your name on the left. That would have made this so much easier D:
6. Uh, aren't people in this thread already aware of this issue? (the email stuff)
7. It's pretty annoying that I need _3_ accounts to use this site (test submission, forums, bug reports)

Anyways, thanks for your help too! :)


jre wrote:
Hi,

I'm user jre, and AppDB maintainer of both Origin and SimCity 2013 - all in one person ;)
First off, thanks for being persistent in trying to file good test results, I really appreciate this!

About your test result https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=27821:
I re-edited it and dropped the 64-bit remark again. However as already announced, I also downgraded it to gold. I previously sent you the link for the rating definitions: https://appdb.winehq.org//help/?sTopic= ... er_ratings, please have a look at it again.

About communication:
As already stated, this is an open project. Don't be afraid to say something publicly. I know this well-intended tendency to keep things private - this is not necessary here and in this case it just cost me time. Please understand that when I first read your test results (in which you asked me to contact you by e-mail) - those came from an unknown source. My first thought was to just delete it, because I assumed a troll behind it (which you aren't as I now know).
Moreover, posting publicly allows others to learn just by reading, and helps me not to repeat myself if a similar situation arises again. Finally it gives us the possibility of peer review in case I get something wrong.

If really necessary, you may contact maintainers by clicking on their name in the left pane of the AppDB.

I suggest to file a bug at https://bugs.winehq.org/enter_bug.cgi?p ... 20Database about appdb <at> winehq.org. Imo we should either provide a contact point that is actually read, or we should just drop it. Still better than providing an email address that is sent to nirvana. In fact that happened to me too a few years ago - now I know better by this thread (and I also know that I should have filed a bug back then). Even if that bugreport is ignored, it would at least allow others to find it and learn the fact.

Greets
jre


Top 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
 Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 




Board index » WineHQ » Website Issues


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: