Multiple AppDB entries for Ketarin -- how to prune?

Post issues, bugs, and feature requests about the various WineHQ websites to this forum.
JimH44

Multiple AppDB entries for Ketarin -- how to prune?

Post by JimH44 »

Hello,

I am the maintainer of the AppDB entry for Ketarin, which is a program for keeping up-to-date a repository of software installers. The AppDB entry that I manage is at https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=40347
but when I search the AppDB I find a number of other old entries for the program.

I have not been able to work out a way to delete the other entries, so could someone please help me.

Thanks for thinking about this.
dimesio

Re: Multiple AppDB entries for Ketarin -- how to prune?

Post by dimesio »

You have to be a supermaintainer of the application entry to delete versions. You are only the maintainer of the version you linked to.
JimH44

Post by JimH44 »

Thanks, @dimesio, for that information.

Can you pls explain how I could ask a supermaintainer to assess the situation and perhaps prune the old versions?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Keratin does not have a supermaintainer. You can apply to be one using the link on the application's main page.
JoseskVolpe
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JoseskVolpe »

Sorry to ask but, ¿why do you want to delete old entries?
Wine devs asks to keep old entries for archival because it helps to track status of Wine and regression testing
JimH44

Post by JimH44 »

Good point, @JoseskVolpe. It's good to be able to look back in the history.

But I find it frustrating that when I go to https://appdb.winehq.org/ and search for ketarin, I get 14 results. Some are issues like this one, and 2 are database entries. It's hard to see which hits are worth looking at.

I would like to ask an administrator to mark the old one as obsolete in its heading. Is there a way to do that?

The one to mark that way is: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=25735

Thanks for thinking about this.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

I've added (Obsolete) to the version description, though really, "Initial version" should have been enough of a clue that it's not the latest.
But I find it frustrating that when I go to https://appdb.winehq.org/ and search for ketarin, I get 14 results. Some are issues like this one, and 2 are database entries. It's hard to see which hits are worth looking at.
IMO, the Google search box is pretty useless. The forum, AppDB, wiki, and Bugzilla all have their own searches, which work much better. (In the AppDB, select "Browse Apps" in the menu on the left.)
JimH44

Post by JimH44 »

Thanks, @dimesio, that's much better.

I would just add to your suggestion of using the Browse function in the left column two points:
  • 1. There are thousands of programs spread over a large number of pages, so I wouldn't have time to browse.
  • 2. The Browse page provides fields where we can restrict the number of programs that match our interest, including Name, Contains etc, and this finds the database entry for a particular program much more quickly than browsing.
    Could we have a note near the magnifying glass to suggest doing Browse and then filling in part of the Name field as a better way of searching the database than the obvious and intuitive option, to click the magnifying glass as we do in most other websites?
Thanks again for putting your time into thinking about all this.
JoseskVolpe
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JoseskVolpe »

JimH44 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:09 am Thanks for thinking about this.
Your welcome ;3