Possible to merge Arch Linux & Arch Linux x86_64 operating system entries?

Post issues, bugs, and feature requests about the various WineHQ websites to this forum.
ridge
Level 1
Level 1

Possible to merge Arch Linux & Arch Linux x86_64 operating system entries?

Post by ridge »

Hi there, just like the title suggests, I noticed that both Arch Linux and Arch Linux x86_64 are entries in the list of operating systems with AppDB reports.
These two are effectively the same OS, as Arch Linux only officially supports 64-bit systems, those who are using an unofficial 32-bit Arch Linux fork when submitting data to the AppDB should submit as "Arch Linux 32-bit" or "Arch Linux x86"

To avoid spreading reports across two duplicate entries, would it be possible to merge "Arch Linux x86_64" into "Arch Linux"?
dimesio

Re: Possible to merge Arch Linux & Arch Linux x86_64 operating system entries?

Post by dimesio »

I'm not going to do that. Arch didn't drop 32 bit support until the end of 2017, and there are test reports going back to 2006 under "Arch Linux." There's no way to tell which architecture the old reports belong to. Having a separate x86_64 entry is the way it's handled for other distros, so I'm going to leave that for Arch.

You are correct that Arch Linux 32 should have a separate entry, because it is a separate distro. The fact that there is not yet an entry for it means that no one has yet submitted it in a test report.

It's up to users to know what they're using and select the correct operating system, or submit a new one if theirs is not already on the list.
JoseskVolpe
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JoseskVolpe »

I would like to know if that's possible to do that on Manjaro versions...
Manjaro is a rolling release distribution, so it doesn't has different LTS release versions as has Ubuntu, it's just one version with continuous updates. I used to choose different versions (and create them if there wasn't) before, but since then i've stopped that and just used "Manjaro Linux" instead. There's also entries like "Manjaro" and "Manjaro Linux" wich are basically the same

Having different Manjaro versions on the AppDB entries confuses new Wine app mantainers and reporters and also overbloat the combobox, wich makes it to take more time to load, people will just be adding more and more unnecessary versions every release.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

JoseskVolpe wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:33 pm I would like to know if that's possible to do that on Manjaro versions...
Manjaro is a rolling release distribution, so it doesn't has different LTS release versions as has Ubuntu, it's just one version with continuous updates.
The Manjaro downloads page still lists version numbers, so I'm not going to change it.
ridge
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ridge »

dimesio wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:15 am I'm not going to do that. Arch didn't drop 32 bit support until the end of 2017, and there are test reports going back to 2006 under "Arch Linux." There's no way to tell which architecture the old reports belong to. Having a separate x86_64 entry is the way it's handled for other distros, so I'm going to leave that for Arch.

You are correct that Arch Linux 32 should have a separate entry, because it is a separate distro. The fact that there is not yet an entry for it means that no one has yet submitted it in a test report.

It's up to users to know what they're using and select the correct operating system, or submit a new one if theirs is not already on the list.
Makes sense to me, thanks!