Twinview and wine explorer /desktop

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
ngoonee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ngoonee »

The command I run (important bits):-

Code: Select all

wine explorer /desktop=civ4,1280x800 Civ4BeyondSword.exe
My system has twinview running, an external monitor (1280x1024) and my laptop LCD (1280x800). Gnome sees it as one large monitor of 2560x1024, my monitor is on the left, my LCD on the right. Even though I start wine from the laptop monitor, it starts up (with indicated resolution) on the external monitor.

If I use 1280x799 resolution instead, it starts up on the monitor from which I run the command, which is expected behaviour (but messes up my screen resolutions).

I'm running 64-bit, wine's in a 32-bit chroot. Arch Linux, Gnome DE. Same results with or without compiz. Obviously running an nVidia card. Some indications on what I should look into would be appreciated.
James McKenzie

Post by James McKenzie »

ngoonee wrote:
The command I run (important bits):-

Code:
wine explorer /desktop=civ4,1280x800 Civ4BeyondSword.exe

My system has twinview running, an external monitor (1280x1024) and my laptop LCD (1280x800). Gnome sees it as one large monitor of 2560x1024, my monitor is on the left, my LCD on the right. Even though I start wine from the laptop monitor, it starts up (with indicated resolution) on the external monitor.

If I use 1280x799 resolution instead, it starts up on the monitor from which I run the command, which is expected behaviour (but messes up my screen resolutions).
Wine needs an extra pixel, maybe?

Is there a reason that you cannot play the game on your exernal monitor?

James McKenzie
ngoonee
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Twinview and wine explorer /desktop

Post by ngoonee »

James McKenzie wrote:Wine needs an extra pixel, maybe?

Is there a reason that you cannot play the game on your exernal monitor?

James McKenzie
Hi James, thanks for responding.

Needing an extra pixel would be (I feel) a bug, since then the size it reports to the WM is not actually the size which is used by the app itself.

I can play the game(s) on my external monitor, but I'm generally trying to get more flexibility in my system, such that I can choose where to play my game, where my app opens, etc. etc. It would be nice if the desktop that was opened was just seen as a non-decorated window by the WM (hence, I could move it around using whathever shortcut keys I have preset) instead of as it currently is, where 'controlled by WM' doesn't actually mean total control.
ngoonee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ngoonee »

Since I believe it to be a bug, so I posted a bug report =)

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=23250