How to install windows hotfixes manually?

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
ericchaves

How to install windows hotfixes manually?

Post by ericchaves »

Hi Folks,

I'm starting with wine and I would like to know how should I proceed to install windows hotfixes downloaded from Microsoft? When I run the command "wine <windows-kb>.exe" it only extract the content to the indicated folder, but then I have now idea how to proceed.

What should I do next?

Thanks in advance.
DaVince
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DaVince »

You don't, and they won't work with Wine. Wine is its own thing, so hotfixes made specifically for Windows don't apply to Wine - it's not Windows after all.
jeffz
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How to install windows hotfixes manually?

Post by jeffz »

ericchaves wrote:Hi Folks,

I'm starting with wine and I would like to know how should I proceed to install windows hotfixes downloaded from Microsoft? When I run the command "wine <windows-kb>.exe" it only extract the content to the indicated folder, but then I have now idea how to proceed.

What should I do next?

Thanks in advance.
which hotfix is it and what problem do you expect it to solve?
ericchaves

Post by ericchaves »

Thanks all for the answers.

I was following a tutorial to install the Office 2007 and there it was said that I need to update gdiplus.dll in other to avoid some Powerpoint errors. I tried to use winetricks but the Hotfix for gdiplus has changed and therefore it was not installing. After searching at Microsoft I figured out that the WindowsXP-KB975337-x86-ENU.exe is the current update for gdiplus and so I downloaded it but I was not sure how to proceed to install it.

Anyway, I installed the office 2007 trial and so far its working ok, so I guess the hotfix it won't be necessary.

Thanks again for the help.
DaVince
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DaVince »

So it's a hotfix for a newer version of a DLL that comes with MS Office? Unexpected for a hotfix to fix something that is not a part of the OS... Perhaps you can find/download/copy the newer version over, but if things just work fine, you shouldn't have to bother.