will wine support windows USB drivers?

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
sparkythewondersquid

Post by sparkythewondersquid »

I am running linux MEPIS 8 and have been having problems getting smithmicro quicklink mobile to work with wine. It installs fine and runs fine but no USB support will not detect my blackberry to use as a modem and alltel/verizon has no plans (nor does smithmicro) to make a linux version of this any one have any ideas?
vitamin

Re: will wine support windows USB drivers?

Post by vitamin »

sparkythewondersquid wrote:will wine support windows USB drivers?
Yes. When? No idea.
sparkythewondersquid

Post by sparkythewondersquid »

thank you :)
storkus
Level 1
Level 1

Re: will wine support windows USB drivers?

Post by storkus »

It's not really a matter of when WINE will support USB as whether your device is supported by the Linux (or *BSD or...) kernel since WINE is just an application wrapper.

I can tell you from experience that many (maybe even most) of these devices are supported by existing Linux drivers: some by dedicated drivers, but most by the open CDC-ACM driver (and standard).

The best idea is to check around various forums and lists (plug in "<your modem name> linux" into Google or whatever seems fastest) and, failing that, try and see if the above driver recognizes it.

The one other thing I suggest (which is too late for you) is along the lines of "forewarned is forearmed": research your purchase FIRST before you sink the money into it, ESPECIALLY if you can't return it!

Mike
Norm

Post by Norm »

sparkythewondersquid wrote:
I am running linux MEPIS 8 and have been having problems getting smithmicro quicklink mobile to work with wine. It installs fine and runs fine but no USB support will not detect my blackberry to use as a modem and alltel/verizon has no plans (nor does smithmicro) to make a linux version of this any one have any ideas?

I had no particular problems running my phone as a modem under Linux.
You do not need the functionality that quicklink provides. Take a look
in the Linux forums and in the google internetbycellphone group.

Norm
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-us ... chment.htm>
Thunderbird
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Thunderbird »

Sure in general you need drivers for a device to use it on Linux. This question is more about a class of programs in which you could say the program itself is the 'driver'. A lot of apps use usb in a way like you used the good old rs232 port ('COM port'). That's the type of USB which will be supported in Wine at some point and perhaps some very basic normal usb drivers like ones for reading keys from dongles (copy protection).

So what won't work is installing the HP drivers for your new all-in-one printer for that you need a native driver.
storkus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by storkus »

But USB->serial dongles ARE already supported in wine! The catch is that you have to add a link manually. Since I just had to do it again (under Crossover) for a certain piece of software that communicates over serial to program a radio, I can tell you from memory it involves simply making a link in the "dosdevices" directory from your serial port to the com port.

In my case, I did the following:

ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ./com1

where /dev/ttyUSB0 is my USB -> RS-232 dongle and "." is wherever your "dosdevices" directory is (somewhere under .wine or, for Crossover Linux, .cxoffice/<bottle>); also, the exact location and name of the serial device may be different (for instance, I believe ACM modems are named ttyACMx, but I don't remember for sure), so you need to look, but it's really as simple as this as far as wine is concerned.

Mike
Thunderbird
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Thunderbird »

For apps which use USB using the old com-port APIs this indeed works fine but there is also a class of programs which is basically a mix between the com-port way and a real driver e.g. apps like itunes and others which use win32 its 'libusb' functionality instead of the com-port APIs.
storkus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by storkus »

OOOOOHHH!!! So, like winmodems and winprinters, they're win-whatevers.

<smacks forehead>

Mike
slyzen
Level 1
Level 1

how to sync an iPhone

Post by slyzen »

storkus, I'm interested in what you said about this link to add manually. I'm running wine 1.1.23 on a kubuntu jaunty and my iTunes 8.2 doesn't see my iPhone (with OS 3.0). Do you think your method will work in my case ?
vitamin

Re: how to sync an iPhone

Post by vitamin »

slyzen wrote:I'm running wine 1.1.23 on a kubuntu jaunty and my iTunes 8.2 doesn't see my iPhone (with OS 3.0). Do you think your method will work in my case ?
No, itunes doesn't see any devices on Wine. It wants to talk directly to a USB device with special drivers.
slyzen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by slyzen »

:evil:

ok thanks for your answer !
Is there another way to make iTunes able to sync with iPod or iPhones on Linux ?
slyzen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by slyzen »

I just found that : http://www.linuxinet.com/free-linux-sof ... store.html

It's a link to download a .dmg file, is it a hoax ?
James Mckenzie

Post by James Mckenzie »

slyzen wrote:
I'm running wine 1.1.23 on a kubuntu jaunty and my iTunes 8.2 doesn't see my iPhone (with OS 3.0). Do you think your method will work in my case ?
No, itunes doesn't see any devices on Wine. It wants to talk directly to a USB device with special drivers.
Isn't there an unsupported version of Wine that will do this until the code is accepted into Wine?

James McKenzie
austin987
Wine Developer
Wine Developer

Post by austin987 »

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 2:16 PM, James
Mckenzie<[email protected]> wrote:
slyzen wrote:
I'm running wine 1.1.23 on a kubuntu jaunty and my iTunes 8.2 doesn't see my  iPhone (with OS 3.0). Do you think your method will work in my case ?
Isn't there an unsupported version of Wine that will do this until the code is accepted into Wine?
Not prebuilt. There are a couple patchsets to do it. Not sure how well
it works for iPods though. I don't think iPhones work either. IIRC,
Maarten's patchset worked for original iPod's (not mini's), and was
dog slow. The etersoft usb patchset may be better, idk.

--
-Austin
slyzen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by slyzen »

how do I apply such a patchset ? During the building of wine ?
austin987
Wine Developer
Wine Developer

Post by austin987 »

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 4:24 PM, slyzen<[email protected]> wrote:
how do I apply such a patchset ? During the building of wine ?
Yes

http://wiki.winehq.org/Patching

--
-Austin
slyzen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by slyzen »

ok thanks, the only patch I found is here : http://lists.etersoft.ru/pipermail/wine ... 00030.html. I'll try it
James McKenzie

Post by James McKenzie »

slyzen wrote:
I just found that : http://www.linuxinet.com/free-linux-sof ... store.html

It's a link to download a .dmg file, is it a hoax ?

No, it's a Mac Disk Image. It should not work with Linux.

James McKenzie
gixmi

Post by gixmi »

The best idea is to check around various forums and lists (plug in "<your modem name> linux" into Google or whatever seems fastest) and, failing that, try and see if the above driver recognizes it.
gixmi

Post by gixmi »

sorry if i made some mistake........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
DaVince
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DaVince »

Um, please let go of your period key.
gixmi wrote:The best idea is to check around various forums and lists (plug in "<your modem name> linux" into Google or whatever seems fastest) and, failing that, try and see if the above driver recognizes it.
"modemname distroname" would probably yield more (specific) results.
James McKenzie

Post by James McKenzie »

DaVince wrote:
Um, please let go of your period key.

gixmi wrote:
"modemname distroname" would probably yield more (specific) results.
I think the problem is that the OP wanted to use an iPod with iTunes,
which is not supported with the main Wine build. There are patches that
will support some, but not all, USB devices. Google for them.

James McKenzie
Dominique Dumont

Post by Dominique Dumont »

Isn't there an unsupported version of Wine that will do this until the code
is accepted into Wine?
There are some patch in mentioned in wine-hq wiki :

http://wiki.winehq.org/USB

I've tried these patch to access LeapFrog Tag reader to no avail.

All the best