Do you have to use command line to use win

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
gogo2520

Post by gogo2520 »

Hello
I am very new to Wine and Linux. My question, is there tutorial for using wine in the gui. I don't know how to use the command and all the tutorials seem to be for command line users. Not to complain but I think the command line is for people with more experience and that is great. But when I read the ho-two's on installing a program it doesn't make scene, it all seems like in your face don't you know kind of stuff. Well ya I don't know and won't know because I don't know what your talking about, not much of a tutorial. So I guess I either spend the next two years studing command line or go back to something that has user friendly GUI's like windows. Can't really complain though because this stuff is free.
Thanks for any information
gogo
austin987
Wine Developer
Wine Developer

Do you have to use command to use win

Post by austin987 »

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 12:34 PM, gogo2520 <[email protected]> wrote:
Hello
   I am very new to Wine and Linux. My question, is there  tutorial for using  wine in the gui.  I don't know how to use the command and all the tutorials seem to be for command line users. Not to complain but I think the command line is for people with more experience and that is great. But when I read the ho-two's on installing a program it doesn't make scene, it all seems like in your face don't you know kind of stuff. Well ya I don't know and won't know because I don't know what your talking about, not much of a tutorial. So I guess I either spend the next two years studing command line or go back to something that has user friendly GUI's like windows.  Can't really complain though because this stuff is free.
             Thanks for any information
                      gogo

You should be able to double click on an exe and run it, but if it
doesn't work 'out of the box', you'll probably have to get your hands
dirty in the terminal.

It's not as hard as it looks, just give it a try ;-).

--
-Austin
vitamin

Re: Do you have to use command line to use win

Post by vitamin »

gogo2520 wrote:Not to complain but I think the command line is for people with more experience and that is great.
Wrong. Command line will do exactly what the author intended to do in less space, less time, and better result.

Would you prefer to see a 10-20 step instructions list starting from "Click on K-Menu button if you use KDE, or that button in the upper left corner if you use Ubuntu, or this image in the X corner if you happened to use Y."

All distros are so different and even more customizable that no instructions will work in all cases. It's not your everyday windows with the "Start button"...
gogo2520

Post by gogo2520 »

Hello

thank You for the fast response.

vitamin The reason I wanted to get linux running is so I can study Microchip programming, I like asm for programming but the command is a lot different. I know some of the basics but where to start when installing stuff is all new to me.

austin987 OK here is were I am lost I click on the exe file where? The C drive in windows or a drive on linux? its all new to me so please bare with me. I was thinking I should have to create a virtual drive or something.
don't know
Thanks for any reply
gogo
austin987
Wine Developer
Wine Developer

Post by austin987 »

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 6:18 PM, gogo2520 <[email protected]> wrote:
Hello

thank You for the fast response.

vitamin The reason I wanted to get linux running is so I can study Microchip programming, I like asm for programming but the command is a lot different. I know some of the basics but where to start when installing stuff is all new to me.

austin987   OK here is were I am lost I click on the exe file where? The C drive in windows or a drive on linux? its all new to me so please bare with me.    I was thinking I should have to create a virtual drive or something.
In your file manager...nautlilus/dolphin/konqueror/etc. Wine stores
its files in a special folder called a WINEPREFIX. It will be created
automatically with registry entries, etc.

--
-Austin
Martin Gregorie

Post by Martin Gregorie »

vitamin The reason I wanted to get linux running is so I can study
Microchip programming
Do you really need to run Windows executables to do that? Linux
cross-compilers are available for many of the common DSPs, e.g. the
Parallax STAMP, and there are Linux emulators for a number of other chip
architectures. I've used Motorola 6809 and 68000 emulators and there are
bound to be others.
I like asm for programming but the command is a lot different. I know
some of the basics but where to start when installing stuff is all new
to me.
You should get one of the Linux sysadmin books (the O'Reilly books are
well-regarded in the *NIX world) and/or a copy of "Linux in a Nutshell".
These will cover the command line interface and writing shell scripts.
The ability to write shell scripts will really expand your ability to
manage and use Linux. Shell scripts are much more powerful that BAT
files.

If you want to write C for Linux you need something like "Linux System
Programming" (also from O'Reilly). I haven't seen that one, mainly
because I have the, now out of print, "Unix Systems Programming for
SVR4" which covers POSIX and is still relevant for current Linux
distributions. The POSIX and Unix C programming environment is
considerably more stable than the Windows environment.