Wine randomly non-functional on Mojave 10.14.6

Questions about Wine on macOS.
elipsis

Wine randomly non-functional on Mojave 10.14.6

Post by elipsis »

I want to pre-emptively apologise for any vagueness, because my knowledge of programming stuff is very, very basic, and I also genuinely have no idea what is going on.

I have been using Wine on my Mac for a bunch of years with little to no issue, but when I tried to use it last night for the first time in about a week, it appears to no longer be functional - when I launch an exe through Wine, my entire screen save for the cursor (and any audio) freezes so long as 'wine' is the active application. If I click away to another application, it takes a while (~30 seconds?) but will eventually unfreeze the screen and allow me to quit Wine with no issue. If I leave it be, XQuartz will instead launch after a while, but appears to hang indefinitely without opening any window or anything.

However, if I run JUST the 'wine stable.app', the same freeze happens, but it will eventually open the Wine terminal - although if I attempt to run winecfg, I get this error:

Code: Select all

0009:err:display:macdrv_init_monitor Failed to initialize monitor
I have not recently updated my operating system, or any other program I can think of that would impact Wine. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling both XQuartz and Wine, to no avail.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!