Winecfg questions and some other questions

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
aalperparker

Winecfg questions and some other questions

Post by aalperparker »

Hi all, is not it much easier for the users to see the wincfg as a default option to choose Windows version on wine? I mean, in example you may choose which Windows version you use during a wine configuration. In example one program may run under Windows Xp but not under Windows 10. In general I install Wine and try running the program from command line like wine VisualStudio.exe (in example). Most users may not be aware of winecfg (I remembered this option after a while after installing a new Linux distro).
My Second question is why do not you add 64 bit version choosing as an option to the menu at winecfg? From drop down menu, you can chose Windows Xp or Windows Xp 64 version or Vista or Vista 64 bit.
My third question is, why do not you give more resources on finishing earlier versions of Windows like Windows Xp or Windows 7 instead of the more newer ones? I do not know but it should be easier for you to finish an older version instead of a newer one. I guess code sizes are increasing. What you can do if they release a new Windows like Windows 12 if you were working on Windows 11.
Thank you
dimesio

Re: Winecfg questions and some other questions

Post by dimesio »

My Second question is why do not you add 64 bit version choosing as an option to the menu at winecfg?
The architecture of a wineprefix is set when the wineprefix is created, and cannot be changed. SInce winecfg runs in an existing wineprefix (one will be created automatically before winecfg opens if it does not already exist), it cannot be used to change the architecture.