Rome Total War - Wine Install Omits Files

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Cal

Rome Total War - Wine Install Omits Files

Post by Cal »

Please be gentle I'm a Wine newbie, and a relative newcomer to Linux/Ubuntu.

Using Wine version 1.0.1. Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid.

I have installed 'Rome Total War' through Wine using the multi-CD install. All seems to have completed normally. However on starting the application, when the main splash-screen is about to clear to go to the game options I get an error:-

filename doesn't exist data/animations/SG 01 idle 01.cas.

This has been noted by other Ubuntu users on Ubuntu forums and unresolved. I have found no mention here.

Any help much appreciated.
Last edited by Cal on Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
James Mckenzie

Rome Total War - SG 01 idle 01.cas

Post by James Mckenzie »

Please be gentle I'm a Wine newbie, and a relative newcomer to Linux/Ubuntu.

Using Wine version 1.0.1. Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid.

I have installed 'Rome Total War' through Wine using the multi-CD install. All seems to have completed normally. However on starting the application, when the main splash-screen is about to clear to go to the game options I get an error:-

filename doesn't exist data/animations/SG 01 idle 01.cas.
Did you check the Applications Database for a possible solution to this before posting?

James McKenzie
Cal

Post by Cal »

Did you check the Applications Database for a possible solution to this before posting?
Yes. That was where I got the help on how to get the multiple-CD install working.

I just hoped someone here might have some other ideas.

Cheers
Cal

Post by Cal »

Further investigation suggests this is due to the install process under Wine omitting to create or copy certain files from the CDs.

I have found several files under C:/..../Activision/Rome - Total War/Data and sub-folders that exist in a Windows XP install, but not on the Ubuntu & Wine installation. I have removed and re-installed to check that the install seems to complete normally.

How best to proceed with this? Should I create an entry under the AppDB?

Are there known circumstances (eg. particular file archive types) where data files are not created when installing under Wine?

Any help much appreciated

Cal
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Cal wrote:Further investigation suggests this is due to the install process under Wine omitting to create or copy certain files from the CDs.

I have found several files under C:/..../Activision/Rome - Total War/Data and sub-folders that exist in a Windows XP install, but not on the Ubuntu & Wine installation. I have removed and re-installed to check that the install seems to complete normally.

How best to proceed with this? Should I create an entry under the AppDB?
Upgrade to 1.1.11 and see if the problem persists. If it does, check bugzilla to see if a bug has already been filed for this, and if it hasn't, file one.