windows privileges

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
kodefive
Level 2
Level 2

windows privileges

Post by kodefive »

I am new to using Wine, so perhaps this question has been answered many times before, but how do I choose what windows privileges I want to run a program with?

I know that I should not run Wine with sudo, but how do I tell Wine that I want/don't want *windows* administrator privileges?

Or is it always assumed that the user is an administrator?

Thanks
Jim
Level 2
Level 2

Re: windows privileges

Post by Jim »

kodefive wrote:I am new to using Wine, so perhaps this question has been answered many times before, but how do I choose what windows privileges I want to run a program with?

I know that I should not run Wine with sudo, but how do I tell Wine that I want/don't want *windows* administrator privileges?

Thanks
Wine creates it's own world, so to speak, in your home folder (~/.wine). So, in the context of files and folders, your applications running under Wine have the same access which the user running wine does. That is to say, file permissions are handled by the host OS running Wine.

Many administrative tasks under Windows, don't exist within the Wine environment. Instead these tasks are preformed natively by the OS (Linux/Mac/BSD/etc). For example sharing files over the network isn't handled by Wine, you'd use Samba for this. Wine doesn't implement a firewall, instead this is handled by your OS.

With respect to installing software, any user who has the ability to run Wine, can install and run software. Installed applications are stored, by default, in your users' home folder (independent of other users' home directories).

So I guess it boils down to: What privileges are you trying to grant or restrict?
kodefive
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kodefive »

For example:
-The privilege to be able to write to files under "program files"
-To be able to change stuff in the registry
-To be able to register new ActiveX components

I suppose that these are things that are possible to do when using Wine normally, but is there a way to get the behavior that a normal (not admin) user would get in WinVista?
Dan Kegel

windows privileges

Post by Dan Kegel »

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 4:07 PM, kodefive <[email protected]> wrote:
For example:

I suppose that these are things that are possible to do when
using Wine normally, but is there a way to get the behavior that a normal (not admin) user would get in WinVista?
That's a reasonable thing to ask for, but Wine has not
yet started dealing with that level of security.
- Dan
vitamin

Re: windows privileges

Post by vitamin »

kodefive wrote:For example:

I suppose that these are things that are possible to do when using Wine normally, but is there a way to get the behavior that a normal (not admin) user would get in WinVista?
Because Wine entirely run by _A_ user it has no concept of user privileges that normal windows has.
The user running Wine has FULL control over all aspects of Wine, has full access too all files and registry inside Wine. And is more powerful then administrator on Windows.

However this does not extend to the entire OS Wine runs on. You are still _A_ user and don't get any more access to say /dev/hda then you already have. So if say virus wants to destroy MBR it won't be able to, if you are a regular Linux user (as you should be).
kodefive
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kodefive »

Ok, thanks for clarifying this for me. For some reason I thought maybe there was some setting I could use to decrease my privileges, but I asked mostly because of curiosity, not for any specific need to do so.
winspool
Level 2
Level 2

windows privileges

Post by winspool »

On Mi, 2008-03-19 at 13:59 -0500, kodefive wrote:
I am new to using Wine,
Welcome to Wine
but how do I choose what windows privileges I want to run a program with?
There is no way to choose that yet
how do I tell Wine that I want/don't want *windows* administrator privileges?
The Windows Applications detect the user as Administrator
Yes.

--

By by ... Detlef