Half-life 2 with steam freezes at intro screen (stable/dev)

Questions about Wine on Linux
s3a
Level 2
Level 2

Half-life 2 with steam freezes at intro screen (stable/dev)

Post by s3a »

I tried with Wine 1.4 and Wine 1.5.4.

I now am back to Wine 1.4 because it's the stable version and this game should be working for a long time since it's old. I have winetricks (version 0.0+20120512+svn814-1 from the Debian repositories - I compiled Wine itself from the upstream source here into a deb file) installed. I'm not entirely certain I did everything correctly so please don't omit simple questions if you think they apply.

It freezes at the intro screen and I do not mean the login menu but rather the valve thing that says "powered by source" after the part with the black guy that has a valve on the back of his head.

I'm using Debian amd64 testing/wheezy. Xonotic and 0ad work perfectly (proprietary Nvidia driver for the GTS 450 in use) so I don't think the graphics driver is the issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
s3a
Level 2
Level 2

Post by s3a »

Just to add, it works in Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64).
Mateusz Stachowski
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mateusz Stachowski »

Try running this command in terminal before starting Steam and Half-Life 2:

echo 0|sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope

This resolves the issue with Portal 2 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and maybe it will work for your problem. If this works please add a comment to relevant bug report: Many apps crash on Ubuntu 12.04 (ptrace broken again)
s3a
Level 2
Level 2

Post by s3a »

Hi, it didn't work:

Code: Select all

echo 0|sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope
tee: /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope: No such file or directory
Is something different since I'm using Debian and not Ubuntu?
s3a
Level 2
Level 2

Post by s3a »

The game works in windowed mode with everything maxed out but as soon as I try to make it full screen whether it's upon launching the program, during the main menu, or after having loaded a saved game and the result is the same; the game freezes.

Also, the cursor shows that it is somewhere (where you see it) but its effect where it clicks when you click the mouse is shifted a bit upward on the y-axis.

I also tried the latest Wine 1.5.6 and nothing changed.

If anyone knows how to solve my problems, I would greatly appreciate it!
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

s3a wrote:The game works in windowed mode with everything maxed out but as soon as I try to make it full screen whether it's upon launching the program, during the main menu, or after having loaded a saved game and the result is the same; the game freezes!
Sounds like this: http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=30775
s3a
Level 2
Level 2

Post by s3a »

Thanks dimesio!

Extracting the deb file (http://mirror.yandex.ru/debian/pool/mai ... 1_i386.deb) and copying the contents of the libxi6_1.6.1-1_i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu directory to /usr/lib32 solved my problem - including the cursor problem! (I phrased it long like this just in case someone else has this problem and wants the solution.)