Office 2007: Access OK. Excel, Word, Powerpoint: NO

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
valeriolibralato

Post by valeriolibralato »

HP ProBook 6460b. OpenSuse 11.4 - 64 KDE

I installed and configure wine (as XP). It works
Then I installed Office 2007 Pro. Strange results: Access and some other tools work fine. Word, Excel and Powerpoint open but stop before I can interact with the message: "MS Excel not installed for the current user. Execute installer program again."
I tried to reinstall many times: some result!!

Any suggestion, please?
jjmckenzie

Post by jjmckenzie »

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 2:51 PM, valeriolibralato
<[email protected]> wrote:

Then I installed Office 2007 Pro. Strange results: Access and some other tools work fine. Word, Excel and Powerpoint open but stop before I can interact with the message: "MS Excel not installed for the current user. Execute installer program again."

Any suggestion, please?
Please visit the Applications Database and follow the how-to
instructions for Word/Excel/Powerpoint. Otherwise, you will receive
the error message you reported here.
valeriolibralato

Re: Office 2007: Access OK. Excel, Word, Powerpoint: NO

jjmckenzie wrote:On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 2:51 PM, valeriolibralato
<[email protected]> wrote:

Any suggestion, please?
Please visit the Applications Database and follow the how-to
instructions for Word/Excel/Powerpoint. Otherwise, you will receive
the error message you reported here.
I read How-To's, Help docs, and follow the AppsDB instructions... more times, before asking for an help. May be I made something wrong... I try again. But I have two questions.

1. The wine installation creates the "C:\Program files (x86)" and "C:\users" directories, as in Win7 style. In the WineCfg Application tab I set XP version (as suggested in wine-docs), may be that's the problem? I tried to set Win7, after installed Office, but in that way office applications doesn't start.

2. Deleting the .wine directory (in my homedir) do I delete all the wine configuration? Are there some other files to delete to start a really new wine installation?

Many thanks
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

valeriolibralato wrote: 1. The wine installation creates the "C:\Program files (x86)" and "C:\users" directories, as in Win7 style. In the WineCfg Application tab I set XP version (as suggested in wine-docs), may be that's the problem? I tried to set Win7, after installed Office, but in that way office applications doesn't start.
The problem is that you're using 64 bit Wine. You need to create a 32 bit wineprefix for Office.

Code: Select all

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/path/to/wineprefix wine /path/to/setup.exe
(Substitute the actual paths to the wineprefix and to setup.exe in the above command.)

Or you could just uninstall 64 bit Wine and install only 32 bit.
2. Deleting the .wine directory (in my homedir) do I delete all the wine configuration? Are there some other files to delete to start a really new wine installation?
http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-ddc6f24 ... d8b64606aa
valeriolibralato

I set a new WINEPREFIX for win32 apps
IT WORKS!!! Great!!

many thanks

dimesio wrote:
valeriolibralato wrote: 1. The wine installation creates the "C:\Program files (x86)" and "C:\users" directories, as in Win7 style. In the WineCfg Application tab I set XP version (as suggested in wine-docs), may be that's the problem? I tried to set Win7, after installed Office, but in that way office applications doesn't start.
The problem is that you're using 64 bit Wine. You need to create a 32 bit wineprefix for Office.

Code: Select all

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/path/to/wineprefix wine /path/to/setup.exe
(Substitute the actual paths to the wineprefix and to setup.exe in the above command.)

Or you could just uninstall 64 bit Wine and install only 32 bit.
http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-ddc6f24 ... d8b64606aa