PowerDVD 10 under Wine

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
morty

PowerDVD 10 under Wine

Post by morty »

Hello!
I'm new here and first sorry for my bad english im from germany and years out of school :)
I'm Trying to find a way to Play protected blu-rays under linux and finaly i trying to run powerdvd10 demo under wine. but i have now problems that is beyond my means.
The installatin of Powerdvd works with errors but it run until the end. the errors come from missing dlls in the system amd system32 directory. so i downlod these files and copy it into the directories.
now start powerdvd indeed, with 2 critical errors in the powerdvd10.exe and the powerdvdcox10.exe but the player is there.
Wen i try to run a blu-ray he say "unsupported format"
it look like the ws2_32.dll make many problems and i found these link about:
http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=23582
but i don't can a programming language.
maybe someone can explain me in very simple english waht is to do.
My Wine version is 1.2 and i use openSuse 11.3 her is still the log:

Moderator: huge log removed. Use pastebin instead.
James McKenzie

PowerDVD 10 under Wine

Post by James McKenzie »

On 3/27/11 10:10 AM, morty wrote:
Hello!
I'm new here and first sorry for my bad english im from germany and years out of school :)
I'm Trying to find a way to Play protected blu-rays under linux and finaly i trying to run powerdvd10 demo under wine. but i have now problems that is beyond my means.
The installatin of Powerdvd works with errors but it run until the end. the errors come from missing dlls in the system amd system32 directory. so i downlod these files and copy it into the directories.
now start powerdvd indeed, with 2 critical errors in the powerdvd10.exe and the powerdvdcox10.exe but the player is there.
Wen i try to run a blu-ray he say "unsupported format"
How about upgrading to the latest wine-development version and trying to
run PowerDVD again?

James McKenzie
vitamin

Re: PowerDVD 10 under Wine

Post by vitamin »

morty wrote:PowerDVD 10 under Wine
What exactly do you need it for? There are many programs that can play DVDs for Linux. Use one of those programs instead.

One example is vlc, which is available for most distros.
morty

Post by morty »

First post:
...I'm Trying to find a way to Play protected blu-rays under linux and finaly i trying to run powerdvd10 demo under wine...
keep your eyes open :)
i have now install the 1.3 ver. of wine. but now i have more problems than before. the sound doesn't work. and i can't install powerdvd.
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

I've already told you NOT TO paste huge log. Put it on pastebin or like site. If you do not know what that is - ask google.
morty wrote:...I'm Trying to find a way to Play protected blu-rays under linux
None of windows blue-ray players will work. They require kernel drm support, which Wine does not and probably never will support.
James McKenzie

PowerDVD 10 under Wine

Post by James McKenzie »

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 4:38 AM, morty <[email protected]> wrote:
First post:
...I'm Trying to find a way to Play protected blu-rays under linux and finaly i trying to run powerdvd10 demo under wine...
i have now install the 1.3 ver. of wine. but now i have more problems than before. the sound doesn't work. and i can't install powerdvd.

@moderator
sorry i don't know waht is "pastebin" but i hope so is right:
Go back to Windows if you don't know what pastebin.com is, Ok?

Vitamin:

close this topic.

James McKenzie
James McKenzie

PowerDVD 10 under Wine

Post by James McKenzie »

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 11:07 AM, James McKenzie <[email protected]> wrote:
On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 4:38 AM, morty <[email protected]> wrote:
First post:

@moderator
sorry i don't know waht is "pastebin" but i hope so is right:
Go back to Windows if you don't know what pastebin.com is, Ok?
Not to be so rude, but you have shown an absolute disrespect for
everyone here who has tried to help you and an absolute lack of
knowledge of my best friend: Google. Please go out and Google
pastebin and then figure out how to use these sites. Even Ubuntu has
one.
Vitamin:

close this topic.
James McKenzie
DaVince
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DaVince »

Not to be so rude, but you have shown an absolute disrespect for
everyone here who has tried to help you
He has? He's only posted twice and the most offensive thing that was in his second post was "keep your eyes open". And he had a point there - no native player (that I know of) supports DRM-infested Bluray.

However, vitamin already answered your question. It won't work. Your best bet is to stream/convert the video somehow, or download a version that will work (downloading is sort of justified if you own the original).
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

I've used an unprotected BluRay .iso file - mounted and streamed via MakeMKV to an experimental XBMC plugin. (It should also work with a protected BluRay disc - I think.) That worked - no Java BluRay menu support - but you could select BluRay titles. Unfortunately it's probably going to be a longtime before Linux fully supports BluRay playback - if ever...

Here's a link to the guide:
http://lifehacker.com/#!5621471/how-to- ... ck-in-xbmc
Not easy to following for a beginner I'm afraid... :cry:

Bob
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

Bob Wya wrote:It [MakeMKV] should also work with a protected BluRay disc - I think.
It does. Awkward (as you described) but it does. Just need to make sure that whatever media player you are using (vlc, mplayer, else) configured/instructed to use GPU acceleration.