Battlefield 2 startup crash

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
mikefromhayward

Battlefield 2 startup crash

Post by mikefromhayward »

I have installed Battlefield 2, patch 1.41 and then 1.50. I can only get to the splash screen before it crashes. i have tried the newest wine, the older working one on the wine app page wine 1.3 and 1.36. I have also tried Cagea and play on linux, all the same result, the splash screen and the a crash. I have installed the ATI drivers in wine. I'm using ubuntu 10.04 Any help will be greatly appreciated,
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Battlefield 2 startup crash

Post by Bob Wya »

mikefromhayward wrote:... I have installed the ATI drivers in wine...
Say WTF??!!

What Catalyst version have you installed (presumably in your Linux distro and not in Wine)?? What ATI GPU/graphics card model do you have?

Also I presume you mean Wine 1.3.6 (Wine 1.36 is some ways off...)

Can you perchance post some console output? That would help pin down the startup problem most quickly.

I feel your pain as it took me weeks to get BF2 working on my system. It still has some graphical glitches and that's with an Nvidia 8800 GTX w/ latest blob drivers!! Also I presume you are aware that multiplayer on Punk Buster enabled servers is still a no go...

Bob
mikefromhayward

Post by mikefromhayward »

I used wine to install the catalyst, which I d/l the latest from the ati website the latest 10.11, my card is ati radeon 9600, I tried the latest line 1.3.6 and the wine posted on the status page wine 1.3.1 using both play on linux and wine and Cadega. what do I put in the terminal for the output needed? Thanks a bunch!
DaVince
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DaVince »

mikefromhayward wrote:I used wine to install the catalyst, which I d/l the latest from the ati website the latest 10.11, my card is ati radeon 9600, I tried the latest line 1.3.6 and the wine posted on the status page wine 1.3.1 using both play on linux and wine and Cadega. what do I put in the terminal for the output needed? Thanks a bunch!
Won't work; Windows drivers won't work in Linux, not even through Wine. Install the actual Linux ATI drivers instead.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

Mike

STOP THERE!!

You really need to read the Wine WIKI pages before even using Wine. Wine is basically compatibility layer between Windows programs and native Linux drivers (and user-space applications). The Wine layer will translate DirectX calls, to a virtualised Windows API, into native Linux OpenGL calls to your native Linux ATI driver... The Wine layer does not support the installation of any low-level Windows drivers.

Battlefield 2 isn't a walk in the park to get working in Wine - so you probably want to do some background reading first... 8)

Bob