Use Wine withou root privileges

Questions about Wine on Linux
whatbug
Level 3
Level 3

Use Wine withou root privileges

Post by whatbug »

Is it possible to (compile &) use wine without admin priviledges?
install-wine-deps.sh needs sudo and it seems like any other method (e.d. listed here http://wiki.winehq.org/WineOn64bit#head ... dda597056a) does as well.

I just want to use wine in my home folder - is that possible?!

./configure tells me that XLib is missing, so I downloaded Xlib. ./configure tells me "keysymdef.h" is missing..........................

what can I do?
dimesio

Re: Use Wine withou root privileges

Post by dimesio »

Root privileges are not needed to compile or run Wine. In fact, root should not be used when compiling or running Wine. Root is needed to install Wine, but Wine can be run from the build directory without installing it, so yes, you can build and run Wine from your home folder.

However, installing distro packages for all of Wine's dependencies will require root privileges. I suppose you could manually put all the dependencies in your home directory and point ./configure to them.
whatbug
Level 3
Level 3

Post by whatbug »

well, this is in fact what I'm trying to do, as described.
Looking for the sources of the dependencies and how to build them up, just to find out that there is another level of dependencies needed to build them is a very anoying thing to do.
Isn't there an howto which simply describes where to get the dependencies (and their dependencies ...), extract them and compile wine?

all the howtos I saw rely on package driven installation of the dependencies - which is not possible...

thank you.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

whatbug wrote:well, this is in fact what I'm trying to do, as described.
Looking for the sources of the dependencies and how to build them up, just to find out that there is another level of dependencies needed to build them is a very anoying thing to do.
I never said it would be easy. Wine has a lot of dependencies, and even installing the packages can be a lot of work.
Isn't there an howto which simply describes where to get the dependencies (and their dependencies ...), extract them and compile wine?
Not on this site. I doubt there's one anywhere.
which is not possible...
The only scenario I can think of in which installing packages wouldn't be possible would be one where you are not the owner of the computer you are trying to install Wine on and don't have permission to do so. In which case, you are on your own figuring out how to circumvent those restrictions.