need to remove wine from mac os x using terminal

Questions about Wine on macOS.
mediazis

need to remove wine from mac os x using terminal

Post by mediazis »

i have tried to remove wine from mac os x using the drag and drop to the trash and it has failed. the program still shows up in the applications folder and the directory is still there. i have tried the following command and it is still not working:

this is the command line i am using
Bohemian-Grove-Imac:~ gursahani$ srm -R /Applications/Wine.app

this is the output i am getting, why am i denied permission to delete???
i am using the admin user so there shouldn't be a problem.

srm: unable to remove /Applications/Wine.app/Contents/Frameworks/KBActionWindow.framework/Headers: Permission denied
srm: unable to remove /Applications/Wine.app/Contents/Frameworks/KBActionWindow.framework/KBActionWindow: Permission denied
srm: unable to remove /Applications/Wine.app/Contents/Frameworks/KBActionWindow.framework/Resources: Permission denied
Remove write protected file /Applications/Wine.app/Contents/Frameworks/KBActionWindow.framework/Versions/A/Headers/KBAction.h?
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by doh123 »

Doesn't look like your using Wine, since it has no "Wine.app" ... it looks like your using Winebottler, which uses Wine, but isn't exactly Wine... and is not supported here.

If you really need to trash something like that you can use sudo, but be very careful as you can do anything that way, so you can completely hose your system if you remove the wrong thing.

so you can do like...

sudo rm -rf /Applications/Wine.app

it'll ask for an admin password typed in to confirm.... but if you type the path in wrong and delete the worng thing... better hope you have a backup to restore.
mediazis

what is the difference between wine and winebottler

Post by mediazis »

i believe i was using the original wine but now i am using wine bottler with wine or something like that. can i use just wine and how do i get a hold of it. i am using mac os x.
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: what is the difference between wine and winebottler

Post by doh123 »

mediazis wrote:i believe i was using the original wine but now i am using wine bottler with wine or something like that. can i use just wine and how do i get a hold of it. i am using mac os x.
normal Wine on OSX is all compile yourself and command line use.

This is easiest done using Macports... you get the free Xcode download from Apple and make sure its on, then get Macports and install Wine through that, and it downloads/compiles and builds everything for you.... but its still command line.

If thats not for you, you can look at 3rd party tools that use Wine.
I'd recommend Wineskin, but I'm biased since thats my project :-)
There is of course Crossover, and some others, all listed on...
http://wiki.winehq.org/ThirdPartyApplications
WineBottler itself is very old and the maker basically vanished, so its basically a dead project I think.

No third party program that uses Wine is supported on this forum though, they all have their own avenues of support.
mediazis

want use wineskin but

Post by mediazis »

i am using mac os x leopard. is there a version of wineskin.
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Hi,

in fact there has been an update for Winebottler, see http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/wine/ . Though the guy behind winebottler probably wants to stick to stable wine versions and you probably won't get much support there, if your app doesn't work with wine 1.4.1 (latest stable version).

The playonlinux guys created a playonmac spin-off, like in the linux version they provide lots of 'unsupported' patches for mouse support and game-specific patches. Maybe Wineskin and playonmac should be merged or at least work closely together to avoid duplicate efforts. I'm not a Mac user, so I can't judge, which one is better, playonlinux/mac seems to be good for people who need game-specific hacks.
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: want use wineskin but

Post by doh123 »

mediazis wrote:i am using mac os x leopard. is there a version of wineskin.
I dropped support for Leopard, it was just holding back way too many things, and performance has improved like double since I dropped it. For the foreseeable future, Wineskin is sticking as 10.6+

10.5 is very old.. 10.6 is MUCH better... but I'd go all the way to 10.8. its not being released until sometime this week, but I've been running the latest dev version for a few weeks and its been fantastic.

I think Crossover still supports 10.5, for the most part. You can always try the build it yourself command line method of course.
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by doh123 »

lahmbi5678 wrote:I'm not a Mac user, so I can't judge, which one is better, playonlinux/mac seems to be good for people who need game-specific hacks.
I don't provide any hacks, just a way to build custom engines from source, so you can apply all the hacks you want. Some people at portingteam.com make custom engines anyone can download that have all types of hacks in them. I never really focused Wineskin to be an end user app, even though it can be used that way. I focused it more on what we were doing over at portingteam.com, where someone takes the tool and makes a port/wrapper and then shares that with everyone, so people who use it do not have to know anything about Wine or settings or anything, just download and play.
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Hi,

you probably can use playonlinux/mac without patches/hacks, too. But their intention seems to be to create a system similar to Codeweavers CrossTie, with app/game-specific hacks and scripts similar to winetricks.
qparis
Level 2
Level 2

Post by qparis »

lahmbi5678 wrote:Hi,

you probably can use playonlinux/mac without patches/hacks, too. But their intention seems to be to create a system similar to Codeweavers CrossTie, with app/game-specific hacks and scripts similar to winetricks.
That's right. PlayOnMac uses exactly the same hacks on Mac than on Linux, sometimes they are a little adjusted for Mac OS.

But PlayOnMac can also help you to install "unlisted" programs. If you choose that, it will just use wine without any hacks.
RobertPattinson

Post by RobertPattinson »

normal Wine on OSX is all compile yourself and command line use. I think Crossover still supports 10.5, for the most part,There is of course Crossover, and some others, all listed on...
http://wiki.winehq.org/ThirdPartyApplications