Wine directory system

Questions about Wine on Linux
Caencel
Level 1
Level 1

Wine directory system

Post by Caencel »

indeed seems to be related to Wine's directory system, i have two partitions and one of them is set to be D:/, that partition is the one actually causing me problems, if i run an installer inside C:/ runs quite well, but if i do it from D:/ the problem present itself.

Now, clean install and clean .wine prefix do nothing to solve the problem, if i look into wine configuration, two directories are present by default, "C:/ ../drive_c" and "Z: /", using an executable for browsing an installation directory expose the problem

this _BrowseProperty is set as a directory and trying to choice anything else causes a crash in the wine program, this in a very clean wine prefix
dimesio

Re: Wine directory system

Post by dimesio »

Caencel wrote:indeed seems to be related to Wine's directory system, i have two partitions and one of them is set to be D:/, that partition is the one actually causing me problems, if i run an installer inside C:/ runs quite well, but if i do it from D:/ the problem present itself.
Linux does not use drive letters. Windows programs expect drive letters, and Wine translates Linux paths into Windows-style paths for them. The C:\ drive you see in winecfg is actually just a hidden directory in your home directory: $HOME/.wine/drive_c is the default. The Z:\ drive is everything else--the root directory, which will include all mounted volumes, including removable ones. I don't know what partitions your "C" and "D" drives are, but I am pretty sure they don't correspond to the drives mapped in winecfg (though Wine's fake drive_c is probably contained on the volume you think of as your C:/ drive.)

From what you have said here and in the other thread, the partition you think of as D:/ has been mounted noexec, which means that binaries are not allowed to execute from it. You need to remount it as exec. If you don't know how to do that, ask your distro.
Caencel
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Wine directory system

Post by Caencel »

in did i bothered them with this same problem :P , but i sorted it now adding this line in the fstab file

atime,suid,mand,users,auto,rw,dev,exec,async,noacl,orlov,nouser_xattr,nocheck,errors=remount-ro,nogrpid,commit=5

thanks for the help
jjmckenzie

Wine directory system

Post by jjmckenzie »

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 7:21 PM, Caencel <[email protected]> wrote:
in did i bothered them with this same problem  :P , but i sorted it now adding this line in the fstab file

atime,suid,mand,users,auto,rw,dev,exec,async,noacl,orlov,nouser_xattr,nocheck,errors=remount-ro,nogrpid,commit=5

thanks for the help
One serious word of warning: DO NOT USE YOUR EXISTING WINDOWS
PARTITION FOR WINE!

Installing/running software from it will cause problems if you have to
switch back to Windows. Also, Wine will corrupt your Windows registry
'hive' forcing a full re-install of Windows. This is documented in
the FAQ.

James