Missing Wine entry in start menu

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Magnus Johansson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Magnus Johansson »

After trying to fix a problem with a Windows program processing icon by uninstalling an older version of Wine and installing the latest from the repository I am using, Wine 1.3.24, I miss the Wine entry in the start menu. I have tried to set one up manually with the menu editor but I have not been able to get it working. How can this be resolved?

Regards,
Magnus
DaVince
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DaVince »

You should probably ask the person who packages Wine for your specific distro.

What you should be wondering, though, is if you actually need it. Wine can run easily through the file manager and terminal, and applications themselves tend to make shortcuts in a Wine submenu (unless this is exactly the "entry" you meant?).
Magnus Johansson
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for your reply, DaVince.

The Wine packages I have installed earlier have inserted Wine and most Windows programs I later have installed into the start menu. I am using Mepis Linux 11.0.

Yes, I know I can start my Windows programs using Dolphin and opening /home/Magnus/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Program Folder/Program.exe, but that takes a lot more keystrokes than having the Windows programs in the start menu under the entry Wine.
dimesio

Re: Missing Wine entry in start menu

Post by dimesio »

Magnus Johansson wrote: The Wine packages I have installed earlier have inserted Wine and most Windows programs I later have installed into the start menu. I am using Mepis Linux 11.0.
Plain Wine doesn't create any menu entries for itself, and the menu entries for the apps are created when you run the installer. My guess is that you deleted those entries, and possibly the whole Wine submenu, by running the uninstaller. Try this: http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-34c8b5d ... a1aa8fea48
Magnus Johansson
Level 1
Level 1

dimesio wrote:
Magnus Johansson wrote: The Wine packages I have installed earlier have inserted Wine and most Windows programs I later have installed into the start menu. I am using Mepis Linux 11.0.
Plain Wine doesn't create any menu entries for itself, and the menu entries for the apps are created when you run the installer. My guess is that you deleted those entries, and possibly the whole Wine submenu, by running the uninstaller. Try this: http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-34c8b5d ... a1aa8fea48
Thanks! I edited the file /home/Magnus/.config/menus/applications-kmenuedit.menu the suggested way and the Wine entry reappeared. But if plain Wine doesn't create any menu entry for itself, what does?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Magnus Johansson wrote: Thanks! I edited the file /home/Magnus/.config/menus/applications-kmenuedit.menu the suggested way and the Wine entry reappeared. But if plain Wine doesn't create any menu entry for itself, what does?
Some distros add menu items for winecfg, etc. to their packages.
Magnus Johansson
Level 1
Level 1

dimesio wrote:
Magnus Johansson wrote: Thanks! I edited the file /home/Magnus/.config/menus/applications-kmenuedit.menu the suggested way and the Wine entry reappeared. But if plain Wine doesn't create any menu entry for itself, what does?
Some distros add menu items for winecfg, etc. to their packages.
OK, but my installation of Mepis Linux 11.0 didn't have a Wine entry until I installed Wine.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Magnus Johansson wrote: OK, but my installation of Mepis Linux 11.0 didn't have a Wine entry until I installed Wine.
By "packages" I meant "Wine packages."