n00b,how to uninstall wine completely and reinstall, Ubuntu.

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
jotto
Level 1
Level 1

n00b,how to uninstall wine completely and reinstall, Ubuntu.

Post by jotto »

I installed wine on my desktop running ubuntu 10.04. All was working fine until I installed battlefield 1942. I had an issue so decided to uninstall wine and try again.

When I reinstalled wine, I get no Programs item in the menu. I can browse to the folder when browsing the c drive.
I started to uninstall BF1942 to try again and had a power cut during the process.

Is there any way to completely remove wine and all its files and foilders so I can start again?

Thanks in advance from a complete n00b!
dimesio

Re: n00b,how to uninstall wine completely and reinstall, Ubu

Post by dimesio »

jotto wrote:Is there any way to completely remove wine and all its files and foilders so I can start again?
http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-8a17a13 ... aaf043d581
jotto
Level 1
Level 1

Re: n00b,how to uninstall wine completely and reinstall, Ubu

Post by jotto »

dimesio wrote:
jotto wrote:Is there any way to completely remove wine and all its files and foilders so I can start again?
http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-8a17a13 ... aaf043d581
Thanks, looks like that should work...will read and give it a go! :D
jotto
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jotto »

When I installed wine, I used the Ubuntu Software Centre. I used this to uninstall.

I copied and paste'd all the above commands and it looked like wine was uninstalled....the .wine folder was missing etc BUT wine is still showing in my Applications menu and if I click on say the configure wine command...it runs the configuration app!!!!! How can this be if it is uninstalled????
jotto
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jotto »

I also remember adding the following to my software sources,
ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
Is it possible I have 2 versions all mixed up?
jotto
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jotto »

Also, running
wine --version in terminal shows wine-1.3.6
Confused...
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

jotto wrote:When I installed wine, I used the Ubuntu Software Centre. I used this to uninstall.

I copied and paste'd all the above commands and it looked like wine was uninstalled....the .wine folder was missing etc BUT wine is still showing in my Applications menu and if I click on say the configure wine command...it runs the configuration app!!!!! How can this be if it is uninstalled????
The commands I linked you to delete the wineprefix and all menu entries made by Wine. To uninstall Wine, follow the instructions in the wiki entry immediately following the one linked to.
jotto
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jotto »

dimesio wrote:
jotto wrote:When I installed wine, I used the Ubuntu Software Centre. I used this to uninstall.

The commands I linked you to delete the wineprefix and all menu entries made by Wine. To uninstall Wine, follow the instructions in the wiki entry immediately following the one linked to.
OK, it says,
5.3. How do I uninstall Wine?

If you installed Wine with your distribution's package manager, use the package manager again to uninstall Wine. (If you installed Wine from source, then use make uninstall in the source directory to remove it.)
I uninstalled via the software centre, how do I use the make uninstall command?

I googled and tried something like sudo apt-get remove but it told me wine wasnt installed.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

jotto wrote:I uninstalled via the software centre, how do I use the make uninstall command?

I googled and tried something like sudo apt-get remove but it told me wine wasnt installed.
You only do make uninstall if you built Wine yourself, which you haven't. You've already uninstalled Wine; there's nothing more for you to do.
jotto
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jotto »

From another post, I tried sudo apt-get purge wine1.3 and that seems to have got rid of the remaining files.

Many thanks for your help and input.
jotto
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jotto »

so near.....

Can I safely delete any files that I find with the name wine in them? Im guessing they wouldnt have been installed with a standard install of ubuntu or would they?

.local share applications folder has several files, wine-browsedrive, lots of different wine-extention- files and a couple of wine-programs.

Thought these would have gone.