The perils of GMAX

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
A Nonny Moose
Level 4
Level 4

Help files and gmax.

Post by A Nonny Moose »

I downloaded the help and tutorial files from turbo squid and unpacked them.

Both the folders in C:\gmax were empty, so I put the unpacked folders in as they unpacked. No result.

I then moved the contents of the folders up on level (i.e. from gmax/Help/help to gmax/Help). Now the application crashes when you try to access the Help menu with an "application error". It does show the frame for the help system.

Here is what was on the console output file:

fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x22ce370,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:d3d:swapchain_init Add OpenGL context recreation support to context_validate_onscreen_formats
fixme:d3d:swapchain_init Add OpenGL context recreation support to context_validate_onscreen_formats
fixme:heap:RtlCompactHeap (0xd8e000, 0x0) stub
fixme:atl:AtlModuleInit SEMI-STUB (0x63323950 0x633233e8 0x63300000)
err:wgl:internal_SetPixelFormat Invalid operation on root_window
err:d3d:context_set_pixel_format Failed to set pixel format 3 on device context 0x27c, last error 0.
err:d3d:context_update_window Failed to set pixel format 3 on device context 0x27c.
fixme:htmlhelp:HtmlHelpW Not all HH cases handled correctly
fixme:shdocvw:PersistStorage_InitNew (0x1311fd0)->(0x3231a6dc)
err:mmtime:TIME_MMTimeStop Timer still active?!

Mostly fixme's but there are some err notes in there. I am afraid they are beyond what I know.
James McKenzie

The perils of GMAX

Post by James McKenzie »

A Nonny Moose wrote:
I downloaded the help and tutorial files from turbo squid and unpacked them.

Both the folders in C:\gmax were empty, so I put the unpacked folders in as they unpacked. No result.

I then moved the contents of the folders up on level (i.e. from gmax/Help/help to gmax/Help). Now the application crashes when you try to access the Help menu with an "application error". It does show the frame for the help system.

Here is what was on the console output file:

fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x22ce370,0x00000000), stub!
err:wgl:internal_SetPixelFormat Invalid operation on root_window
err:d3d:context_set_pixel_format Failed to set pixel format 3 on device context 0x27c, last error 0.
err:d3d:context_update_window Failed to set pixel format 3 on device context 0x27c.
fixme:htmlhelp:HtmlHelpW Not all HH cases handled correctly
fixme:shdocvw:PersistStorage_InitNew (0x1311fd0)->(0x3231a6dc)

Mostly fixme's but there are some err notes in there. I am afraid they are beyond what I know.

Is there an open bug report for this? I would like to see one created
if there is not an existing bug report. This looks like the program is
affected by the wgl and d3d errors, but I'm no expert on these two
dlls. Thus my request.

Since you've been around for a while, I think you know how to name a
bug....(some of the names are cryptic and some are very disturbing...)

Has this EVER worked in any version of Wine? The brain damage level is
high tonight....(And the doc gave me serious muscle relaxers for my neck
pain until the X-Rays are read.)

James McKenzie
A Nonny Moose
Level 4
Level 4

Not sure about the bug reporting protocol

Post by A Nonny Moose »

Is this a wine bug or a gmax bug? It has been so long since I ran gmax on windows that I don't really know any more.

I also have a hard time reading between the lines on these console reports. I just ignore the fixme: things as known problems, but never know what I am really looking at with an err: I assume I can cause the fixme's to go away by turning them off using the debug variable. Just too much bother.

I am slowly getting wise to the nomenclature, but it is trial and error for me at the moment.

I hope you haven't done anything serious to your neck. Maybe you just sat in a draft too long or slept with your head at a funny angle. Good luck on that. I have had diagnosed rheumatoid arthritis since about 1985 and living with a thing like this is a pain (literally, at times).
DanKegel

Post by DanKegel »

"Material navigator and material editor will not open libraries of maps or materials" sounds like a wine bug, please file a report at
http://bugs.winehq.org with a recipe to repeat the problem.

The help viewer thing might be a wine bug, you can tell by
getting gmax and its help files installed and working on Windows; if
the same procedure fails on Wine, it's a wine bug.

My first computers were all single chip microprocessors: z-80, 6502, 6803,
and a CMOS PDP-8 clone. My Dad was an EE, and I did a lot of wire-wrapping
for him.
A Nonny Moose
Level 4
Level 4

Bugzilla entry made

Post by A Nonny Moose »

However, I think I need to investigate the help thing a little more.
A Nonny Moose
Level 4
Level 4

It probably is a wine bug.

Post by A Nonny Moose »

Further to all of this, on 3.1.3 the bug was exacerbated in that the application now senses a fatal error and wants to close after a save.

I have done a regression test on this, and found the point at which this happened. However, there is definitely an OLE problem as well.

I will follow this up when 10.10 UBUNTU gets my graphics driver problem fixed.

Meanwhile, I have filed a bug on both these problems.
A Nonny Moose
Level 4
Level 4

Now gmax Materials Naviagtor crashes outright.

Post by A Nonny Moose »

UBUNTU 10.10 AMD64 Latest updates with recompile wine 3.1.7 after an ia32.lib upgrade.

Returning to looking at GMAX.

As things stand now, when you try to open the materials navigator the program posts an error, allows you to do a save, and quits.

From a testing point of view, this may be better than the previous behavior when the ME opened but could not access its file system tree in the dialogue box. This last condition existed on 1.3.3, and I wonder if it is worth doing a regression test to find the point at which all this changed?

Here is the current log:

fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x259e568,0x00000000), stub!
err:mmio:MMIO_ParseExtA No . in szFileName: ""
err:mmio:MMIO_ParseExtA No . in szFileName: ""
err:mmio:MMIO_ParseExtA No . in szFileName: "C:\\gmax\\Sounds\\"
err:mmio:MMIO_ParseExtA No . in szFileName: "C:\\gmax\\Sounds\\"
err:mmio:MMIO_ParseExtA No . in szFileName: "C:\\gmax\\Scenes\\"
err:mmio:MMIO_ParseExtA No . in szFileName: "C:\\gmax\\Scenes\\"
fixme:storage:create_storagefile Storage share mode not implemented.
fixme:storage:PropertyStorage_WritePropertyToStream unsupported type: 4126
fixme:storage:PropertyStorage_WritePropertyToStream unsupported type: 4126

In the past I never got the err:mmio lines, I don't think. the last line I have seen before. There do not appear to be the OLE errors we saw previously.

It has been a while since I did any of this testing. If you happen to see a winetricks I missed, let me know, and I'll try it again.
A Nonny Moose
Level 4
Level 4

Moving to a new testbed

Post by A Nonny Moose »

I am sure I missed something in winetricks. I installed direct X, and the C run time, but I get a lot of this line on my log. I am sure it missed a download, because it wasn't this way before my recent update.

Here is the mysterious line.

err:d3d_draw:drawStridedFast >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GL_INVALID_OPERATION (0x502) from glDrawArrays @ drawprim.c / 48

There are several hundred of these, and since all I did was open a file, I am sure I omitted a download. Can someone give me a clue, please?

wine 3.1.9 on UBUNTU 10.10 x86-84
DanKegel

Post by DanKegel »

I've filed a bug for this
http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=25519

Looks like a problem in Wine's drag-and-drop support.
A Nonny Moose
Level 4
Level 4

OK.

Post by A Nonny Moose »

It would have taken me weeks of digging to find out what you did in a day or so. I am not current on either the innards of wine nor the current windows stuff anymore. Being retired does have its drawbacks.

I have another problem and I wonder if I can just do a reinstall. In order to pick up 1.3.9 properly on my production system, I had to manually remove 1.3.8 from my system (I hunted it down using the PATH variable). Every time I tried an install from synaptic it reverted, somehow, to 1.3.8 (probably because I recompiled it and did an manual install to pick up a new ia32 library).

Since I was already in a console, I did an apt-get install. The X11 (gdm) menu now does not show wine at all, though running from console doesn't bother me much. However, I would have thought the install would have put it there. The reason I wanted 1.3.9 on my production system is so my testbed could share files. I now get to reinstall all the apps, but I have them so it is not a problem as I now have the same version on both loads.
A Nonny Moose
Level 4
Level 4

Post by A Nonny Moose »

Post hoc: Reinstall from synaptic didn't work. I guess I'll have to put the entries back manually. They don't happen to be anyplace in the installed stuff do they?
DanKegel

Re: The perils of GMAX

Post by DanKegel »

Hey Moose,
looks like this is fixed in Wine 1.7.1, give it a shot!
http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=25519
A Nonny Moose
Level 4
Level 4

Re: The perils of GMAX

Post by A Nonny Moose »

Thanks Dan. I have distro trouble at the moment with wine 1.7 and will have to dig around a bit before I can try this. Anon, anon, remember the porter.