256 Bit Color Mode

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Michael_LaCorte

256 Bit Color Mode

Post by Michael_LaCorte »

Hello, I have recently been trying to get Starcraft Broodwar (PC) to run on my Macbook Pro (1.6.2).

I have installed Wine 1.1.40 using Macports and Wine seems to be working, however, when I try to launch Starcraft, an error pops up saying, "Starcraft was unable to switch video modes. To correct this problem, please set Desktop Area to 640 x 480 and Color Palette to 256 colors and try running Starcraft again."

When I installed Starcraft under Ubuntu 9.10 (32-bit) using Wine 1.1.40 the game ran perfectly.

Any ideas how I would correct this issue without having to run the game in windowed mode? The terminal output is as follows:

Code: Select all

fixme:shdocvw:PersistStreamInit_InitNew (0x18b7c8)
fixme:shdocvw:navigate_url Unsupported args (Flags 0x489284:10; TargetFrameName 0x489284:10)
fixme:urlmon:URLMoniker_BindToObject use running object table
fixme:shdocvw:BindStatusCallback_OnProgress status code 1
fixme:shdocvw:BindStatusCallback_OnProgress status code 2
fixme:shdocvw:BindStatusCallback_OnProgress status code 11
fixme:wininet:set_cookie persistent cookies not handled (L"expires=Sun, 14-Mar-2010 23:34:44 GMT; path=/; domain=.iccup.com")
fixme:wininet:set_cookie persistent cookies not handled (L"expires=Sun, 14-Mar-2010 23:34:44 GMT; path=/; domain=.iccup.com")
fixme:urlmon:create_object Could not find object for MIME L"text/html"
fixme:shdocvw:BindStatusCallback_OnProgress status code 5
fixme:urlmon:create_object Could not find object for MIME L"text/html"
fixme:advapi:SetSecurityInfo stub
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33f198,0x00000000), stub!
err:x11settings:X11DRV_ChangeDisplaySettingsEx No matching mode found 640x480x8 @0! (NoRes)
err:x11settings:X11DRV_ChangeDisplaySettingsEx No matching mode found 1440x878x8 @0! (NoRes)
James McKenzie

256 Bit Color Mode

Post by James McKenzie »

Michael_LaCorte wrote:
Hello, I have recently been trying to get Starcraft Broodwar (PC) to run on my Macbook Pro (1.6.2).

I have installed Wine 1.1.40 using Macports and Wine seems to be working, however, when I try to launch Starcraft, an error pops up saying, "Starcraft was unable to switch video modes. To correct this problem, please set Desktop Area to 640 x 480 and Color Palette to 256 colors and try running Starcraft again."

When I installed Starcraft under Ubuntu 9.10 (32-bit) using Wine 1.1.40 the game ran perfectly.

Any ideas how I would correct this issue without having to run the game in windowed mode? The terminal output is as follows:
No. You will have to run the program in windowed mode. Blame it on the
broken X11 supplied with MacOSX.

err:x11settings:X11DRV_ChangeDisplaySettingsEx No matching mode found 640x480x8 @0! (NoRes)
err:x11settings:X11DRV_ChangeDisplaySettingsEx No matching mode found 1440x878x8 @0! (NoRes)

This is why.

James McKenzie
Michael_LaCorte

That was my concern, however, I have been able to get it to run under Crossover, it was just unbearable slow. It might help if I explained Macports a little.

The MacPorts Project is an open-source community initiative to design an easy-to-use system for compiling, installing, and upgrading either command-line, X11 or Aqua based open-source software on the Mac OS X operating system. To that end we provide the command-line driven MacPorts software package under a BSD License, and through it easy access to thousands of ports that greatly simplify the task of compiling and installing open-source software on your Mac.

That is the definition that is on the homepage of the Macports website. So are there any Linux tools that I could use to upgrade my X11 to support 256-bit colors?
James McKenzie

256 Bit Color Mode

Post by James McKenzie »

Michael_LaCorte wrote:
That was my concern, however, I have been able to get it to run under Crossover, it was just unbearable slow. It might help if I explained Macports a little.

Crossover for Mac uses its own X11 server. I sincerely wish that
Jeremy and company would feed back to Apple what is needed to fix these
problems.
The MacPorts Project is an open-source community initiative to design an easy-to-use system for compiling, installing, and upgrading either command-line, X11 or Aqua based open-source software on the Mac OS X operating system. To that end we provide the command-line driven MacPorts software package under a BSD License, and through it easy access to thousands of ports that greatly simplify the task of compiling and installing open-source software on your Mac.
So does Fink. The purpose of both projects is to 'port' Unix/Linux
applications to work with MacOSX which is based on a flavor of BSD
Unix. This is not trivial in most cases.
That is the definition that is on the homepage of the Macports website. So are there any Linux tools that I could use to upgrade my X11 to support 256-bit colors?

You could try installing the MacPorts version of X to see if the XQuartz
project has figured out, on their own, how to fix this situation.

James McKenzie
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by doh123 »

Crossover customized X server can handle RANDR from Wine correctly.

Xquartz does not... it can only run things at current video resolution.

With Wine, if you run anything in a virtual desktop, then Wine can resize the virtual desktop and it will not error.

To play fullscreen the way your doing it, you'd need to set up your Xquartz for fullscreen mode... change your Macs resolution down to the right resolution... start Xquartz... kill quartz-wm, then start the game in Wine, and it would look perfectly normal like a fullscreen app.

You could also just try making it into a .app using Wineskin (http://wineskin.sourceforge.net), as it takes care of monitoring and changing resolutions and everything for you.... still without proper RANDR, but it at least makes it a bit more bearable.... if you want any type of fullscreen gaming.
Charles Davis

256 Bit Color Mode

Post by Charles Davis »

On 3/7/10 6:44 PM, Michael_LaCorte wrote:

Why would you want to run the Windows version under Wine? Why can't you
just run the Mac version? I run the Mac version, and it works
perfectly--even if it is an old OS 9 Carbon application. (Sadly,
StarEdit doesn't work because it's not a Carbon app. Could that be why
you're trying to run the Windows version?)

Chip
Michael_LaCorte

While Starcraft works great on Mac, I enjoy playing on the ICCup server which has terrible Mac support. 80% of all maps aren't playable on the Mac version of Starcraft and their Anti-hack Launcher doesn't work either, so you will be kicked out of most of the games you join.