Wine Re-Installation Issues: No menus or .wine being created

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Unlimited

Post by Unlimited »

I recently had to remove wine after it became cluttered with software that would not uninstall fully (no matter what I did) and series of other issues. When I removed wine ("yum remove wine") I decided to wait for my repositories to get the .58 update. In the meantime I backed up what I wanted and deleted the .wine folder and menu entries in gnome by hand.

Today I installed wine again and nothing seems to be working properly. a new .wine and accompanying drive_c, etc. folders are not being created. None of the proper menu entries are showing up in the gnome menu either. Typing the "wine" command in console reveals the rest of the package installed fine.

How can I get wine to set up everything properly again? Did I miss something in the removal that is causing these issues?

I'm running on Fedora 8
vitamin

Re: Wine Re-Installation Issues: No menus or .wine being cre

Post by vitamin »

Unlimited wrote:I recently had to remove wine after it became cluttered with software that would not uninstall fully (no matter what I did) and series of other issues. When I removed wine ("yum remove wine") I decided to wait for my repositories to get the .58 update. In the meantime I backed up what I wanted and deleted the .wine folder and menu entries in gnome by hand.

Today I installed wine again and nothing seems to be working properly. a new .wine and accompanying drive_c, etc. folders are not being created. None of the proper menu entries are showing up in the gnome menu either. Typing the "wine" command in console reveals the rest of the package installed fine.

How can I get wine to set up everything properly again? Did I miss something in the removal that is causing these issues?

I'm running on Fedora 8
To create ~/.wine directory run 'wineprefixcreate'.

If you don't have Wine's own menu entries, like winecfg, notepad, etc - ask the person who made the old Wine package. Those links are not part of vanilla Wine and all packages that come from this site don't create them. Of course you can run those programs directly from terminal or 'run command' menu.
L. Rahyen

Post by L. Rahyen »

On Friday April 4 2008 03:07:01 Unlimited wrote:
How can I get wine to set up everything properly again? Did I miss
something in the removal that is causing these issues?

I'm running on Fedora 8
Run this:

rm -rf ~/.wine

Make sure that there wasn't any errors and ~/.wine actually was deleted ("ls
~/.wine" should output "There is no such file or directory"). Then
run:

wineprefixcreate

After this you should be able to install and run Windows software with WINE
as usually.
Unlimited

Post by Unlimited »

Great, seems to have worked perfectly.

Thanks.
gridrender

It is very useful, and i need to study.

Post by gridrender »

It is very useful, and i need to study.Thank you.