Fedora 10 - update killed text input to Wine

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
edgar_rice
Level 2
Level 2

Post by edgar_rice »

This weekend I built a new machine running Fedora 10, its software was up to date as of Saturday morning (I think, maybe Friday evening).

I installed Wine with "yum" (version 1.1.14).

I managed to get Diablo 2 LOD installed and working (flawlessly!). I was happily playing this afternoon, then exited the game and ran "yum update".

After the update text input did not work (the mouse worked fine). Not even the Wine notepad will take text.

There were 45 megabytes in the update, there was a new kernel, I *think* there was a new SDL, I *think* there was a new xorg. I tried backing out the new kernel, but that had no effect.

I've since wiped out the entire install, "yum erase wine", deleted my .wine directory, and started again. I tried to re-install Diablo 2, but it would not accept text input into the key registration dialog. That's when I tested notepad and saw that it did not work, either.

There were no wine* packages that were updated, so I'm quite sure it is not a wine bug. Something else killed it (I'm thinking maybe SDL). I have no idea how to back up to a prior version of a package.

Very disappointing...
edgar_rice
Level 2
Level 2

more information...

Post by edgar_rice »

The Linux native client for Neverwinter Nights also does not read keystrokes (it also uses SDL).

"yum list recent" lists SDL.i386, SDL-devel.i386, and SDL-static.i386, all versions 1.2.13-7.fc10.

I grabbed the 1.2.13-6.fc10 versions of these three from the fedora site (that was the version in the original release) and ran:

rpm -Uvh --oldpackage SDL*.rpm

This had no effect on NWN or on Wine's notepad.

I'm stumped.

Edit: that is specifically the Linux native client for NWN, not NWN running in Wine.
edgar_rice
Level 2
Level 2

Success! And crashes!

Post by edgar_rice »

xorg-x11-drv-evdev.i386.2.1.3-1.fc10 seems to be the culprit. I replaced it with a very old version xorg-x11-drv-evdev-2.0.7-3.fc10.i386.rpm and Wine's notepad will take input! But NWN crashes on startup. I'm not too surprised about the crash, you can't just grab one library. There were no dependencies defined, but that doesn't mean there aren't any.

So: WARNING!!! Do not accept an xorg update with that version of that package, it will kill your Wine!
Nan0

Post by Nan0 »

Same problem here. Mouse works but no keyboard input. I have tested Eve-Online and Counter-Strike Source. None work
Rico

Post by Rico »

edgar_rice
Level 2
Level 2

Fixed! Hooray!

Post by edgar_rice »

Nice catch, Rico. That bug resulted in a fix which was released in libgxim-0.3.2-4.fc10.i386.rpm, which is already available in the updates repository. A simple "yum update" will grab it, along with a few other things. It did not work at first, nor with just restarting the x server, but a full reboot fixed it and it seems to be working nicely.

Hooray for open source! 48 hours from problem to solution. :D
AllenB

Re: Fixed! Hooray!

Post by AllenB »

And another confirmation that this fix works. I too had to reboot before it was effective.
edgar_rice wrote:Nice catch, Rico. That bug resulted in a fix which was released in libgxim-0.3.2-4.fc10.i386.rpm, which is already available in the updates repository. A simple "yum update" will grab it, along with a few other things. It did not work at first, nor with just restarting the x server, but a full reboot fixed it and it seems to be working nicely.

Hooray for open source! 48 hours from problem to solution. :D
kyuso

Post by kyuso »

Same here. It's not just wine. Xterm also has problem with text input in some
cases until I move the mouse to another window and back. Wine running Halo
never recovers whether moving to another window and back, but Tomb Raider 3
recovers the text input when starting movie is finished playing and menu
appears, and Tomb Raider 2 or Red Alert never loses key input. Some
dictionary program does work up until some random key input.

But all key combinations for window manager works (Alt-TAB, Alt-F7, etc.)

Do you have proprietary nvidia driver? I wonder if that's the culprit.

Don't mind not being able to play games, but annoying when it happens to
xterm, although it has a workaround (move mouse off and on the window.)

Well, Fedora is supposed to be cutting-edge, so no complaints there (I still
use Fedora 8 for mission critical works, i.e., avoiding hell from my
non-technical users, until I find Fedora 10 100% stable for their purpose.)
At least now I have KDE 4.2.1 and bunch of updates that I like.

--
View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/Fedora-10---updat ... 26563.html
Sent from the Wine - Users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
edgar_rice
Level 2
Level 2

Post by edgar_rice »

Yes, I am running nVidia driver 180.29. Did the above update not clear up your problem? IIRC, the description of the bug was specifically for xterm, not wine, but it fixed it anyway.
tparker
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Fedora 10 - update killed text input to Wine

Post by tparker »

Are you using 64 bit Fedora? If so the you may still have a problem with libgxim-0.3.2-4.fc10, the 32 bit version seems to have patched the problem but lots of people in 64 bit still have trouble with it. So far there are two fixes:

1) remove all parts of SCIM and any dependencies, disabling it is usually not enough but you are welcome to try.
2)remove whatever version of libgxim you have and any dependencies you need to.

Then reboot and test your text input. Feel free to try just one fix or the other, but most people have needed to do both.
edgar_rice
Level 2
Level 2

Post by edgar_rice »

Ah, that may be it. I am, indeed, using 32-bit. It's working flawlessly for me. Perhaps there is an additional bug in the 64-bit branch that was not addressed in that fix.