Dissapearence of the program

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
simeon.mattes
Level 2
Level 2

Post by simeon.mattes »

Hi everybody,

I 'll try to describe the problem I have as clear as I can, because it's quite complicated.

I have a dictionary installed through wine in openSuse 11.1. When I open it nothing appears on my screen, although it runs as a process, i.e. it has a pid. In order to make it appear on my screen I do the following:

1. I maximize the dissappeared dictionary through right click on the icon on the taskbar. After this, an icon appears on the left upper corner of my screen which is the logo of the dictionary!!! The most strange of all is that when I maximize the program nothing is clickable except this icon, although I can see the background of my desktop.
2. I left click the icon I said before and the dictionary reveals itself. Though, only the dictionary is clicable.
3. I disable the miximize as in the first step.

I don't know what happens and has this program such a strange behavior.

I have also another problem which is not so annoying, but it's also quite strange. When I change Virtual Desktop or I minimize the dictionary then it disappears again and there is nothing I can do in order to restore it. So I have to close it through kill from either konsole or kSysGuard, because close doesn't work also.

And the last one and the most irritating is that my openSuse sometimes crashes whenever I open the dictionairy. Either after some minutes I've opened it or at once.
Last edited by simeon.mattes on Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
dimesio

Re: Dissapearence of the program

Post by dimesio »

simeon.mattes wrote: And the last one and the most irritating is that my openSuse sometimes crashes whenever I open it. Either after some minutes I've opened it or at once.
Wine is a user-level process and shouldn't be able to bring down your whole system. If you really mean openSUSE is crashing (not just the app), there's an underlying problem with your system.
simeon.mattes
Level 2
Level 2

Post by simeon.mattes »

dimesio wrote: Wine is a user-level process and shouldn't be able to bring down your whole system. If you really mean openSUSE is crashing (not just the app), there's an underlying problem with your system.
I'm sure that there is an underlying problem with my system (I suppose you mean in the operating system and not the hardware), but this problem appears whenever I open this specific application with wine. I don't know what happens exactly. I 'm just describing what I see.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

simeon.mattes wrote:
dimesio wrote: Wine is a user-level process and shouldn't be able to bring down your whole system. If you really mean openSUSE is crashing (not just the app), there's an underlying problem with your system.
I'm sure that there is an underlying problem with my system (I suppose you mean in the operating system and not the hardware), but this problem appears whenever I open this specific application with wine. I don't know what happens exactly. I 'm just describing what I see.
Wine can expose underlying problems, such as bugs in graphics drivers (the most likely problem). You should take this to the openSUSE forum and/or the forum for whatever graphics card you're using for help figuring out exactly what the underlying problem is. It's not a Wine issue.
simeon.mattes
Level 2
Level 2

Post by simeon.mattes »

dimesio wrote: Wine can expose underlying problems, such as bugs in graphics drivers (the most likely problem). You should take this to the openSUSE forum and/or the forum for whatever graphics card you're using for help figuring out exactly what the underlying problem is. It's not a Wine issue.
Ok...thanks. The other two I said are also problems of the graphic card?
austin987
Wine Developer
Wine Developer

Post by austin987 »

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 8:09 AM, simeon.mattes <[email protected]> wrote:
dimesio wrote:
Wine can expose underlying problems, such as bugs in graphics drivers (the most likely problem). You should take this to the openSUSE forum and/or the forum for whatever graphics card you're using for help figuring out exactly what the underlying problem is. It's not a Wine issue.
Ok...thanks. The other two I said are also problem of the graphic card?

Sounds like a bug in window managing. That could be a bug in your
window manager or wine. Using a virtual desktop should help. Your
whole OS crashing, however, is a kernel/driver bug (unless you're
running as root)...

--
-Austin
simeon.mattes
Level 2
Level 2

Post by simeon.mattes »

austin987 wrote: Sounds like a bug in window managing. That could be a bug in your
running as root)...

--
-Austin
What do you mean unless I'm running as root? Actually I'm running as a user. Should I try to run the same application as root?
austin987
Wine Developer
Wine Developer

Post by austin987 »

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 10:44 AM, simeon.mattes
<[email protected]> wrote:
austin987 wrote:
Sounds like a bug in window managing. That could be a bug in your
running as root)...

--
-Austin
What do you mean unless I'm running as root? Actually I'm running as a user. Should I try to run the same application as root?
No. I mean that Wine can't crash your system unless you're running as
root. Any crashes are simply bugs in the kernel or drivers, exposed by
Wine.

--
-Austin
simeon.mattes
Level 2
Level 2

Post by simeon.mattes »

Ok...thanks. I'll ask in the forum of openSuse.
David Gerard

Post by David Gerard »

2009/2/4 simeon.mattes <[email protected]>:
I'm sure that there is an underlying problem with my system, but this problem appears whenever I open this specific application with wine. I don't know what happens exactly. I just describe what I see.
This sort of thing can happen when Wine tickles the graphics driver in
such a way that X (the window system) crashes.

So your system isn't technically crashing (Linux is going okay), but
from the point of doing actual stuff, it's crashed!

- d.
simeon.mattes
Level 2
Level 2

Post by simeon.mattes »

Actually it seems that my system is crashing. My screen gets black but I hear the processor doing things. Moreover, If I press the shutdown button, the systems shuts down after a while.

I've asked in openSuse forum

http://forums.opensuse.org/hardware/lap ... -card.html

but it seems that only openSuse 10.1 is suitable for my laptop :(