Will Wine run on Windows 10?

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
DavidCroissant7

Will Wine run on Windows 10?

Post by DavidCroissant7 »

Hi.

I'm writing to ask if Wine will ever run on Windows 10?

I only ask because I can't seem to get some old programs working with Windows 10.

One of the old programs I would like to work with Windows 10 is Encarta 98 and I think I can only do this if Wine works with this version of Windows.

I know that Encarta 98 is a 32 bit application and that I have 64 bit Windows.

Is there any chance that the Wine developers will make the Wine program work with Windows 10?

Please let me know soon.

Many thanks.
dimesio

Re: Will Wine run on Windows 10?

Post by dimesio »

The whole point of the Wine project is to enable users to run Windows programs without Windows. So no, the Wine project is not going to produce a Windows version. People have experimented with getting Wine to run in WSL, and posted about it elsewhere; a search for "wine on WSL" should turn up instructions from other sites that you could try. Just keep in mind that those instructions are not supported here.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

One more thing:
I know that Encarta 98 is a 32 bit application and that I have 64 bit Windows.
AFAIK, 64 bit Windows 10 should be able to run 32 bit applications using WoW64, which is built in to the OS. Are you sure the app isn't 16 bit? If it is, you could try https://github.com/otya128/winevdm.
DavidCroissant7

Post by DavidCroissant7 »

Thanks for your reply.

I do know that some 32 bit programs work with Windows 10 and some don't. I know Encarta 98 is 32 bit and doesn't work.

I have tried following tutorials relating to using WoW64. But I've had no luck.

Is there any tutorial advice you can give on how to use WoW64?