Wine and Multicore Processors

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
thom_raindog
Level 2
Level 2

Post by thom_raindog »

Trying to solve the problem of choppiness and stuttering on LotrO I wonder:

Someone mentioned turning off multiprocessor usage for LotrO as a solution. I use an AMD64 on gentoo 64 bit. What would I need to do to make wine run LotrO on just one core, or, does it do that by default anyway, in which case: How do I set it to use both to test if that helps?

Can anyone chip in there?
jeffz
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Wine and Multicore Processors

Post by jeffz »

thom_raindog wrote:Trying to solve the problem of choppiness and stuttering on LotrO I wonder:

Someone mentioned turning off multiprocessor usage for LotrO as a solution. I use an AMD64 on gentoo 64 bit. What would I need to do to make wine run LotrO on just one core, or, does it do that by default anyway, in which case: How do I set it to use both to test if that helps?

Can anyone chip in there?
You need to set the affinity mask for the Wine process so that it only runs on 1 cpu, you can use a tool called schedtool, once you build or install it you run it as:

cd ~/.wine/path/to/lotro
~/schedtool-1.2.10/schedtool -a 0x1 -e wine lotro.exe
thom_raindog
Level 2
Level 2

Post by thom_raindog »

Thanks for the input.
Now, will processes inherit that scheduling? Since, I can't really run lotro directly through wine, I use gui client as provided by lotrolinux.com.

I used the scheduler on the lotro_linux_client, which worked, but seemed to have no effect whatsoever, not positive, nor negative.

Gathering from what you told me though, I assume wine uses both cores as a standard?
jeffz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by jeffz »

thom_raindog wrote:Thanks for the input.
Now, will processes inherit that scheduling? Since, I can't really run lotro directly through wine, I use gui client as provided by lotrolinux.com.

I used the scheduler on the lotro_linux_client, which worked, but seemed to have no effect whatsoever, not positive, nor negative.

Gathering from what you told me though, I assume wine uses both cores as a standard?
Yes, I'm fairly sure it inherits. Yes, as standard Linux may schedule any threads that are created on different cores/cpus if you do not restrict the affinity to a single one.
Gert van den Berg

Post by Gert van den Berg »

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 1:30 PM, jeffz <[email protected]> wrote:
You need to set the affinity mask for the Wine process so that it only runs on 1 cpu, you can use a tool called schedtool, once you build or install it you run it as:
You can also use htop to set the affinity if you have that
installed... Press "a" when the desired process is selected.