RAS Support? East India Company

Questions about Wine on macOS.
whitejamest

RAS Support? East India Company

Post by whitejamest »

Hello, if you'll bear with clueless person for a bit, your help would be greatly appreciated. This is hardly a matter of life and death but I'd sure be happy to be able to run this game.

I've been trying to run East India Company on my Mac Book Pro (OS 10.6.8) with Wine, and from the beginning have gotten lots of error and Fixme messages, never being able to get in to the game proper. Installation seems to work alright. After early failures, at someone else's recommendation I switched back to an older Wine engine, 1.3.37, and the list of problems in the diagnosis panel has shrunk a lot. It now reads:

fixme:ras:RasEnumConnectionsA (0x630607a8,0x32c1d4,0x6305f610),stub!
fixme:ras:RasEnumConnectionsA RAS support is not implemented! Configure program to use LAN connection/winsock instead!
fixme:msg:pack_message msg 14 (WM_ERASEBKGND) not supported yet
fixme:ras:RasEnumEntriesA (0x0,(null),0x32bc78,0x32c434,0x32c430),stub!
err:mmtime:TIME_MMTimeStop Timer still active?!

I have read the posts of a few other people getting similar messages with other games, and they received advice to install libgnutls. Now, I really know nothing about programing, and even command lines are beyond me. Is there a way to implement RAS support through wine tricks? Any advice for the ignorant?

Thanks for your help and your patience,

James
DanKegel

Re: RAS Support? East India Company

Post by DanKegel »

You shouldn't worry too much about the messages from Wine; most of them are harmless.

Better to go back to the newer version of wine, and then pay attention to the suggestions in the appdb,
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... &iId=22646
which suggests doing 'winetricks DirectX9 Physx Quartz'.
(d3dx9 might be gentler than directx9, try that first.)

I see the game has a downloadable demo,
http://www.eic-game.com/?page=demo
That will make it easier for others to help you if you still have trouble after using winetricks.
whitejamest

Re: RAS Support? East India Company

Post by whitejamest »

Thanks for your response Dan. I should have mentioned in my original post that my first efforts were to use the latest version of wine and to follow the suggestions on the appdb page, adding 'winetricks DirectX9 Physx Quartz'. I later tried substituting d3dx9 for DirectX9 in a subsequent attempt. Only when all of that failed did I try using an older engine. Perhaps I should retry that original attempt, so I can at least post the error messages it gave me here.

I hadn't thought of trying the demo, I'll give that a try and see what I learn.

Thanks,

James