Solar Accounts

Questions about Wine on Linux
nadrach
Level 3
Level 3

Solar Accounts

Post by nadrach »

I have a relative with an ASUS EEE 900, which we are going to try to reload with Kubuntu, because the default Xandros is less than useless at giving access to Wine. The specific requirement is to be able to run Solar Accounts, www.solaraccounts.co.uk, so does anyone have any experience of running this software on Wine?
nadrach
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nadrach »

sorry, got the comma on the link, try www.solaraccounts.co.uk
triso
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Solar Accounts

Post by triso »

nadrach wrote:I have a relative with an ASUS EEE 900, which we are going to try to reload with Kubuntu...
If you have the Asus eee pc 900, I’d highly recommend Ubuntu-eee for it instead of regular Ubuntu. You’ll have just a tad more screen room while doing all your normal tasks, an easy install and seamless updates, and a very intuitive main screen that minimizes the searching through menus.
nadrach
Level 3
Level 3

Solar Accounts so far ...

Post by nadrach »

OK, we are now on Kubuntu 10.04 netbook version, with wine 1.3.11 and winetricks 20110105 from the Ubuntu wine ppa ... Solar Accounts installs relatively straightforward, except that it uses Java, which is supplied in the install EXE ... jre.1.5.0_08 ... , and fails when it tries to use the Java at the end of the install. Four errors reported on the console, all identical ...

Error occurred during initialisation of VM
Java/Lang/NoClassDef Found Error : java/Copy/Object

Once installed, the program attempts to run, but fails after one of the above error messages is reported. No other errors reported during install or run attempt.

Does wine handle programs that come with and use Java?
nadrach
Level 3
Level 3

later ...

Post by nadrach »

OK, maybe I should set less detailed search criteria on the forums, next time ...

Seems that jre.1.5.X are listed as garbage for use on wine ... any suggestions as to how I get Solar Accounts to run on another Java ... it is likely that the SA authors set the program to look for the enclosed Java, rather than any other installed separately ... would be appreciated.

Cheers!
Martin Gregorie

Solar Accounts

Post by Martin Gregorie »

On Wed, 2011-02-09 at 14:09 -0600, nadrach wrote:
Seems that jre.1.5.X are listed as garbage for use on wine ... any
suggestions as to how I get Solar Accounts to run on another Java ...
it is likely that the SA authors set the program to look for the
enclosed Java, rather than any other installed separately ... would be
appreciated.
Does Solar Accounts include any native Windows code or a MS database?
If yes, it can only be run under Winre
If no, it should run under any version of Sun/Oracle Java thats version
1.5 or later.

If the previous answer was 'no' or 'don't know', download and install
the latest JRE for Sun/Oracle Java SE 1.6 and try running Solar Accounts
under that.

You can get the JRE from
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... 38363.html

Martin
nadrach
Level 3
Level 3

Solar Accounts ... later

Post by nadrach »

OK, tried all sorts of things ... solar accounts runs on jre1.5.0.8 within its own directory ... does not look for a later Java anywhere else ... symbolic links did not work ... finally got somewhere by backing-up the installed jre1.5.0.8 and copying the contents of a jre6 directory into a fresh jre1.5.0.8 directory ... seems to work but have not yet had a full shakedown with an existing accounts file ... tbc
nadrach
Level 3
Level 3

Solar Accounts Update ... and Java

Post by nadrach »

Solar Accounts has been running for some time on Kubuntu netbook 10.04.1 on the the eeePC, using jre6_24 masquerading as 1.5.0_08 ... i.e SA looks in its own local directory called jre1.5.0_08 for Java, but what is in there is a copy of jre1.6.0_24. This worked (mostly) fine until wine 1.3.30. The only glitch was an occasional failure-to-start citing an inability to initialise the Java virtual machine.

This continued with a fresh install of Kubuntu 10.04.1 on an Acer Aspire One D255E, currently being prepared as a replacement for the eeePC.

However ... on the upgrade to wine 1.3.31, today, the inability to start the VM became permanent.

I tried installing the latest Java (1.6.0_25), but this reported an install glitch ...

An error has occurred while processing the shared archive file.
Unable to create shared archive file C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\client\classes.jsa.
Error occurred during initialization of VM

... now this file has read-only permissions, but it turns out to be installed that way ... so not a file permissions fault. However, checking all the file info in the various Java installations showed only one oddball ...

C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\servicetag\registrations.xml

... which had a mix of jre6_24 and jre6_25 data in it, probably because I had installed 25 over 24.

So I did a clean install of jre1.6.0_25, with no reports of VM problems, then copied that to the local SA Java directory, replacing the earlier <used> jre1.6.0_24. Bingo ... Solar Accounts starts ... for how long I have yet to confirm ... but so far, so good.

The questions I have are ...

(1) Does Java always have to be installed clean on wine, not by upgrade?

(2) Since the VM lockout occurred after I upgraded wine from 1.3.30 to 1.3.31, does this mean I have to recopy a fresh Java across to Solar Accounts every time I get a Wine update in future?
nadrach
Level 3
Level 3

More Solar Accounts ...

Post by nadrach »

Although Solar Accounts now runs, again, mostly ... it still exhibits an intermittent failure to start with an error message that the JRE has failed to create the Java virtual machine. Frequency of this is different on the various machines in use, so I suspect some sort of timing glitch ... tbc.
jjmckenzie

Solar Accounts

Post by jjmckenzie »

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 11:58 AM, nadrach <[email protected]> wrote:
Although Solar Accounts now runs, again, mostly ... it still exhibits an intermittent failure to start with an error message that the JRE has failed to create the Java virtual machine.
Frequency of this is different on the various machines in use, so I suspect some sort of timing glitch ... tbc.
Java can be a little touchy at times. Even in UNIX. You just have to
be patient as adding Wine to the system load may make it even more so.

However, I'm glad that someone has a Java program running under Wine.
This demonstrates this is possible.

BTW, why are you not using native Java, just as a question?

James
nadrach
Level 3
Level 3

Because ...

Post by nadrach »

Solar Accounts installs its own local Java (1.5.0_08) and barfs if you try to link or point it anywhere else, at least so far ... if I ever succeed in getting that to change I will post the method here. The reason for copying-in a different Java to the local directory is that 1.5.x barfs on wine ... it was the quickest solution at the time. Not elegant, I admit ... but working, mostly.
jjmckenzie

Solar Accounts

Post by jjmckenzie »

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 1:36 PM, nadrach <[email protected]> wrote:
Solar Accounts installs its own local Java (1.5.0_08) and barfs if you try to link or point it anywhere else, at least so far ... if I
ever succeed in getting that to change I will post the method here. The reason for copying-in a different Java to the local
directory is that 1.5.x barfs on wine ... it was the quickest solution at the time. Not elegant, I admit ... but working, mostly.
Thank you for that information. Somehow that version of Java needs to
be updated for security purposes. That is beyond the scope of this
project and should be brought to the attention of the folks who
produce this program.

James
nadrach
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nadrach »

Update ... Solar Accounts still running, now on wine 1.6, Kubuntu 12.04 and Java 1.7_25 and on an Acer netbook ... still occasionally fails to create the virtual java machine, but otherwise runs OK. Relative very pleased and now something of an exponent for Wine and Linux.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

There's no AppDB entry for Solar Accounts. It would be helpful if you would create one and submit a test report for it.
reinadeoz

Post by reinadeoz »

Solar Accounts still running, it´s true. Still occasionally fails to create the virtual java machine, but otherwise runs OK. Relative very pleased and now something of an exponent for Wine and Linux.
agoodm

Post by agoodm »

Tried to get the current version of Solar working on Wine 1.7 in ubuntu 12.04... Installed latest JRE 1.7 series and copied/renamed its folder into the Solar Accounts install folder. Started Solar, everything looked great initially, however once the application opens I cant see any menus except for file/edit/etc at the top... I have tried various versions of the JRE including the exact same versions reported here as working to no avail. Any ideas?

Getting these things logged in a terminal...

alan@littlebrat:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Solar Accounts$ wine SolarAccounts.exe
fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0
fixme:process:GetProcessWorkingSetSize (0xffffffff,0x73e91c,0x73e920): stub
fixme:win:RegisterDeviceNotificationA (hwnd=0x12ddf8, filter=0x93e698,flags=0x00000001) returns a fake device notification handle!
fixme:win:UnregisterDeviceNotification (handle=0xcafecafe), STUB!
fixme:win:RegisterDeviceNotificationA (hwnd=0x12ddf8, filter=0x93e5dc,flags=0x00000001) returns a fake device notification handle!
fixme:win:RegisterDeviceNotificationA (hwnd=0x12ddf8, filter=0x93e5dc,flags=0x00000001) returns a fake device notification handle!
alan@littlebrat:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Solar Accounts$ fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0
p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
fixme:oleacc:CreateStdAccessibleObject unhandled window class: L"ToolbarWindow32"
fixme:oleacc:CreateStdAccessibleObject unhandled window class: L"SWT_Window0"
fixme:oleacc:CreateStdAccessibleObject unhandled window class: L"SWT_Window0"
fixme:shell:IQueryAssociations_fnGetString 00000400: unimplemented flags
fixme:shell:IQueryAssociations_fnGetString 00000400: unimplemented flags
nadrach
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nadrach »

This following is from sideways observation ... I do not use SA myself, my relative does, for his business.

What you are seeing is how Solar accounts works.
You are getting the initial screen after startup.
From there you need to either open a file for an existing set of accounts (using the file menu at the top of the screen), or you create a file of a new set (can't remember where that is, have a hunt in the menus at the top of the screen). You specify the tables you want in your accounts set, as part of the new accounts setup procedure ... ie: for home, business, etc.

BTW, if you have not purchased a licence from SA and activated the accounts program, you only have a limited trial (was 30 days when I last looked) and some limitations on facilities.

My relative has been using SA for so long, we have to re-install his licence every time we re-install the software, so it is automatic to do so.(Currently his SA working extremely well on Lubuntu 13.10, about to be upgraded to 14.04 after the network manager operation from the task bar was fixed, this week.)

The stuff you are seeing in the terminal is normal.
agoodm

Post by agoodm »

Thanks for your input.

In Windows the window has a number of buttons in the centre of the screen and a bar down the left side with options such as Customers, Invoices etc. In linux/wine the window is entirely empty except for the controls at the top.

I can choose Window -> invovices as an alternative to clicking in the bar on the left, however the content never appears.

This is on a licensed copy of Solar with my details inputted in the help -> register purchase screen. Option dissapears once license code is entered and application restarted.

Alan
agoodm

Post by agoodm »

Nadrach, thanks for your input. I have a licensed copy of Solar that I use with a Windows PC and a Windows VM in virtualbox.

When I open a company file I am not seeing any content in the middle of the window, nor the side bar ont he left. If I choose Window -> Invoices I do not see a list of invoices as per Windows.

http://imgur.com/gI8pD5d
nadrach
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nadrach »

The screen shown in your link is the default SA start screen with no accounts file open.
If you are getting this by clicking on the accounts file and triggering SA to open as the chosen "Open With", then what may be happening (and I have seen this on other programs, both on wine and on native Windows) is that although the SA program is starting-up, it is not opening the file you clicked on. I have this on an old Access database and I cannot figure out why it happens, but I am not the only one experiencing the problem. (For the Access problem, the database file opens fine on one XP installation, but not on two others or on any W7 machine ... go figure.)
What I have to do is start the software and then use the "File>Open" command to open the data file (works on all systems).
Try starting SA and then using "File-Open" on the accounts file.